"Bacterial DVD Holds 50TB"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt this new media will have any real use for the average person with a desktop. Blue ray and HD-DVD`s will fill that void for awhile. Although businesses will probably turn to holographic discs or these ones.

Who even has 50TB of data anyway?

Thats like $20,000 in harddrives. Like we're going to need a DVD that holds 50TB. That's carrying a spare gas tank in your car that holds 1,000,000 gallons of gas.

The General said:

Thats like $20,000 in harddrives. Like we're going to need a DVD that holds 50TB. That's carrying a spare gas tank in your car that holds 1,000,000 gallons of gas.

Yeah, exactly. Instead of a gay DVD, why don't they further research using RAM as a HDD. They could make quad bank memory sticks, or something. Because personally, I would rather have 20GB of RAM as a HDD, than 50TB in DVD form.

think about how expensive those disks would be anyway. and u would have to have a superfast bunrner cause u would have to burn data everytime u saved something

well just because they can put 50 tb of info on a dvd doesnt mean that all that tech will produce is 50 tb dvds. im sure it could be easily scaled down (1tb discs or something), or, more importantly, appied to other things. The basic concept of this right now is that with a substance that is relatively easy to produce, we can store $#!%loads of info. Its completely new right now and its very likely that with time we could find ways to apply it to hard drives ram, etc etc.

The surrounding tech will need time to catch up as well i dont know how you would go about putting info pn those things but like he ^^^ said, you might need some super fast dvd burner or something. If the pressure is put on companies to develop[ thenew required technology (ie theres money in it) then i have no doubt that adequate support technology will be developed (i mean have we really reached the maximum extent of burning technology?... no, weve just never had to develope a super fast one yet, cds/dvds structurally can not take much more than the speeds in a 52x burn, and who needs a cd in less than 30 seconds so why get faster with current tech) Anyway, i dont see a lack of support technology as a reason not to pursue this more... that would be like saying cars shouldnt have been developed because the highway system wasnt developed at the time...

apokalipse said:
let's get back to the topic shall we?
if the topic continues in the path it's going, I will most likely have to lock it.

Now that just doesn't make sense.

It should be MOVED, not locked.
It's a good topic... It's just has nothing to do with, "Building, Buying or Upgrading High Performance PC's."

yeah, why doesn it have to be locked? anywayz......50TB is storage, wow.....i wonder how much info that is.......hmm.....that is quite a lot.

I think all of the imagery from Google Earth is like 5TB, lol.

We could have 10 times the resolution of Google Earth stuff, and store it all on one disc.

You know back in the day we all used to say we would never need 2gig of ram, now were screaming for our OS to support more than 3gig and a couple of our games today require 2gig.
think about how expensive those disks would be anyway. and u would have to have a superfast bunrner cause u would have to burn data everytime u saved something
Actualy, no. The technology is already out today and is widely used by most ppl who watch TV on their PCs. I am one of them. I have a machine that uses a DVD-RAM drive that records live TV as you watch it. Speed? Its only 4x and it burns until you tell it to stop or it needs another DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom