Replaced mobo, worked, then stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_day10

Beta member
My computer took on a power surge during a storm. I tested the PSU, it seemed to work, so after testing various things, I deduced that it was the mobo. I ordered a new one (refurbished) from Dell. I replaced it, it worked, but I could not get it to boot properly. I put a drivers CD in and it began checking graphics. After about a minute or two, the monitor went black and shut down. I noticed the the computer had shut down also. I tried to turn it back on and nothing happened (except the fans were working). I can't even get the CD back out. I know there is a little hole that I can put a pin in and get it out, but that's not the point. I even tried resetting CMOS, and still nothing. The mobo is grounded as much as the original one was. Is the CPU shot, or could it be that the PSU is not giving full power? Could it be faulty from the power surge.

Well, I believe that CPU's are generally protected from an overload by the motherboard. So, that should be ok.

I would definitly buy a new PSU. How did you test it?

I would also think PSU But the CPU can FRY with a power surge if its a bad enough one. You can bring the psu in to your local store and have it tested.

The only way I could test the PSU was by shorting it to see if the fan came on and it did.

What about bad RAM?:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom