Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiousity, may I ask why you want to use
both the wired and wireless routers wired together?

My father doesnt want to put his connection on a wireless router so he wants to keep it on wired, andi want a wireless connection for my laptop so i need to hook it up to the other router

so use the wired ports on the wireless router and ditch the wired router, or get a switch if you need to add extra ports.

thats what i told him but he doesnt want to do that for some reason, doesnt want to go wireless he says,except the wired is the same security as the security of wired on the wireless wrouter

What do you mean - "except the wired is the same security as the security of wired on the wireless router"??? Pls elaborate.

Why does he think that connecting his computer to the wireless router (using ethernet cable) will not be safe? As long as the router, be it wired or wireless, is properly encrypted using WEP, WPA or what have you, it should be alright. Besides, I believe both your computers also have antivirus installed, right?

chachi15 said:
thats what i told him but he doesnt want to do that for some reason, doesnt want to go wireless he says,except the wired is the same security as the security of wired on the wireless wrouter

So this is the situation:
You, or others want wireless, your father, wants to saty wired. you propose to use a wireless router to connect to a wired router to satisfy both sides...

I think that's about right....

So, heres the EASIEST solution:

get/use a wireless router that has wired ports in the back..

At my house were using a Linksys router, both my father adn I are wired into the router with ethernet cables, while my mother and sister are using the wireless.. everyone wins.

This way, we only have the modem and the router, while still serving wired and wireless units......

This seems like the optimal way to do what your saying, if I understand you correctly. you dont have to worry about assigning IPs or making sure that one router connects fine to another etc etc. ally ou have to do is secure the wireless on the one router..

remember the more things there are, the more things can go wrong. (and they will, and you will be called to fix them)

you could do a double nat(however would slow some things down on second network)

you could do cable modem to wireless router, take cable from lan on wireless router and plug it into the wan on the wired router, then you wouldnt have to worry about changing ip's or disabling dhcp, that way if anyone hacks into your wireless network they wont know that one of the ip's is another router, then theres actually another "firewall" between the wireless network and the wired network, so in reality your dad would have sort of double protection, however his browsing speed may be slightly slower and any clients on the wired network may have issues if both browsing the same site at the same time(especially webmail sites or forums or game servers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom