Departitioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infomatic

Banned
I have an 80GB IDE Seagate Barracuda hard drive. It has two partitions; 35GB, and the rest (like 43GB). The 35GB Partition has Linux on it, while the 43GB has Windows. I haven't booted into linux a single time since I built the PC, and I was wondering if there was any way to un-partition that extra space and integrate it into the 43GB that I have.

Losing all data on the Windows partition, right?

Yea, thats what I want to avoid. This would've given me some extra space and an excuse to not use another hard drive. In for a long DVD burning session, methinks.

hey it's simple .jus do this go to control panel->administrative tools->computer mnagement.on the left side of the screen u have disk management at the bottom.click on it.it will display all u r drives even th linux ones.right click on the linux partitions and select delete logical drive.and it will declared as free space.once u do this to all the linux partitions the whole 35 gb will be shown as free space.right click on it and u create another logical drive.it is not possible to integrate the free space onto u r existing windows hard disk.

and if u r system does not boot after this repair the installation by inserting win xp boot cd.go to repair and give these commands fixboot and fixmbr.and if it still doesn't work reinstall the win xp.

Partition Magic comes to mind...

Delete the Linux partition, then use Partition Magic to reclaim the space by extending your Windows partition.

Did I forget to mention that I have Windows 2000 on this PC?

backlashwave said:
hey it's simple .jus do this go to control panel->administrative tools->computer mnagement.on the left side of the screen u have disk management at the bottom.click on it.it will display all u r drives even th linux ones.right click on the linux partitions and select delete logical drive.and it will declared as free space.once u do this to all the linux partitions the whole 35 gb will be shown as free space.right click on it and u create another logical drive.it is not possible to integrate the free space onto u r existing windows hard disk.

and if u r system does not boot after this repair the installation by inserting win xp boot cd.go to repair and give these commands fixboot and fixmbr.and if it still doesn't work reinstall the win xp.

That sounds good. I just want to get the extra space that's currently going to waste. Another logical drive would be just fine.

I didn't find a free version of Partition Magic, and I don't really want to pay for this.

Eric, do I use the .zip file during windows, to avoid having to repair?

I get an alert when I try to delete the partition. First of all, the Linux one is the "Primary Partition," not sure if that's important. This is the alert I get when I try to delete the Linux partition:

"Deleting this partition will change the number of the partition that contains your Windows 2000 system files. You will have to change your boot.ini file after the delete is complete, and reboot your machine. Do you want to continue?"

I don't know how to change the boot.ini file, or what to change in it.

extract the restorembr.exe zip file. run it in windows after you delete the linux partitions. it will fix the boot.ini for you.

Didn't work. Now when I boot, I get an error.

I went into the recovery console of Windows 2000, and typed in Fixboot; that didn't work.

When I type in fixmbr, it says;

----------------------------

** CAUTION **

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive (I am having problems), do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

----------------------------

So should I go ahead with it? Is there a chance that I lose the data, because there are some files on here that I seriously don't want to lose. Is this alert normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom