"Bacterial DVD Holds 50TB"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to burn something on my DVD and wonder where it went the next day :p.

Of course, I would have no use at all for 49.95TB of eeeempppptyyyy spaaaacceee.

Blu ray will give you 25, 50, 100, or 200 gigs depending on how many layers for all practical purposes this is enough for todays age the costs are still high for blu ray technology

So, when you are burning these bacteria disc's, does it flind the micro-protiens off of the CD? lol... I could imagine taking that drive back to the store... Of find out that it causes some sort of illness in people...

"Sir, we found that the drive was filled with genetically altered, microbial bacteria, definatly not covered under warrenty."

That's realllllly creepy because a few months ago people were talking about human tissue used for certain circuit etc. It's practical because of the incredible speeds attained through the nervous system tissues.

So here we are astounded by another aspect of nature; this time not about speed but size. They're talking about data being stored on the molecular level. That sounds HIGHLY unstable as per heat/vibration/magnetism etc etc will all destroy a data array when applied at high levels.

Although this discovery and application of nature on such a micro level is impressive, it is also frighteningly advanced. Far beyond anything we have ever seen. I am quite concerned with technology's abuse of nature and utterly record shattering achievements....

P.S. I have now actually sent out more e-mails at work than I have made posts here. International move management...go figure :cool:

THe problem w/ technology and today is exactly what you just said. To many people are frightened of it. They see stupid movies like I-Robot and such and get afraid of what might actualy come. I say go for, i love to see new technology.

it only uses a protein that is MADE by a type of bacteria. The protein itsself isnt alive, just a harmless chain of amino acids... you still probably shouldne eat it tho...

Its really not all that advanced, it just uses the properties of a certain molecule w/ light. There is plenty of technology that relies on structures at a molecular level...

The really cool thing about this is how its made, we can just let bacteria do the work for us, if we had to synthesize the molecule in a lab then it would be quite a bit more difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom