connecting to modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnsey

Beta member
I just had cable installed and the computer was connected to the modem via USB. I want to plug my wireless router into the modem as well. If I plug the modem into the router via network jack, and keep the computer connected via USB (because I don't have a NIC), will I run into problems??????

Re:

Hello,

It won't work I'm afraid. You can only have one device connected to the cable modem, either by USB or ethernet.

Instead, connect all your computers to the router, then connect your router to the cable modem...after all, that is what the router is designed for.

Check to see if your router has a USB port on the back to connect a PC to it. If it doesn't and you only have ethernet ports, and your PC doesn't have an ethernet NIC, then you'll either have to buy a wireless network adaptor or buy and install a PCI ethernet NIC (which is a better idea, costing less since your router is nearby).

thanks for the confirmation. I figured that it didn't but because I live out of town I wanted to confirm that and I will pick up the NIC before I depart.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom