Need help!!Laptop directly shuting down when formating,maybe bios problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the CMOS Checksum error is because you cleared the CMOS. You have to go into the BIOS and hit like, "Load optimized defaults" and then save and exit. It should go away then.

it did go away when I set the date and time correctly...should I try installing XP from another CD? (other than the one which came bundled with the laptop?)

The worst case scenario is that the Checksum error is the result of a failed bios upgrade but then you wouldn't be able to enter the bios at all. Given you can still get there you need to boot from floppy via windows 98 boot floppy and run chkdsk C: and see if that hard drive is fubared.

The problem is that I dont have a floppy disk!! I tried booting from a 98 and an ME CD but couldnt...I tried using another XP CD...I booted successfuly but the computer then turned off as it did with the CD that came with the laptop...

If it is a problem with the HD, then how could they (at the company) install windows?? They told me (and I dont know how true that is) it needed a bios upgrade...and that they did that...plus installed windows...
(another thing...the laptop used to give a beep sound when turned on...i was told it needed a bios upgrade...however,when they gave me back the laptop (and supposidly upgrdaded the bios) it still gave the beep...but when i upgraded it,it did not give the beep anymore!!so i dont know exactly what is going on here!!

the question is...how did they manage to install xp on the laptop???

But the thing is I am not able to access the screen where it asks for a quick format!! the comptuer is turnign off before that!!is there anything i could do to fix it??

Thanx again...

if you can, find out the manufacturer for the hard drive in your laptop and download some diagnostic boot disks from their website if they have any, if not other hard drive brands will have some such as western digital, maxtor has a low level format utility, if you run a diagnostic test and it comes back fine i'd run a low level format on it and try it again.

Hi,
Sorry but I was out of town for a while...

Just yesterday I decided to open the laptop and try again...but this time, I tried Quick Format...and it worked! I installed XP and am using it right now...but I'm sure this does not mean that the laptop is "fine"...

What do you think might be the problem?? (a thorough format will not work...only a quick format...??)

Might it be a problem with the hard disk??some bad sectors or so that are overriden when quick formatted??

I ran the chkdsk utility...im not much of an expert in these stuff...so...her's a screenshot below...

thanx again...

Attachments

• chkdsk.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom