fan not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahferretboy

Solid State Member
Well hey-ho. Ive been having some, what i can only assume was, over-heating issues with my packard bell easynote e5 laptop. The laptop was crashing randomly during boot up, but i looked in the heatsink and voila, there was a fair bit of grub.
I cleaned the heatsink out but it was still crashing. After looking through the threads on this page I though maybe it could be a thermal paste thing, as it came with a heat pad, not the paste, which everyone says is better :p
Ive applied the thermal paste and now the laptop can stay switched on for about 10 minutes instead of a couple of seconds, but it still reboots.
Now the problem ive noticed is the fan is not spinning at all...:s

Is there a way to check its hooked up and working correctly? maybe some options in windows to make it spin and see its all ok?
Or does anyone know what i can do to make it start spinning again? The heat sink is completely clean.. infact, everything is completely clean.
I best send this, or it'll reboot in a sec, but any help on this would be lovely!!
Cheers all!!

Tom

Oh, well I just realised, that fan aint coming back to life.. :p

Does anyone know of any online shops that woud sell repacement fans for aptops? Having been to maplins and a few other places, all i got was the manager saying ill only be able to find them online.. but i dont even know what to search for. When i type in notebook fans, i get pages and pages of things that you attach to a laptop as extra cooling material. But I cant find anything on replacing the original fan.

I dont want to replace the entire cooling thing, with heat sink et al, but preferrably just the black fan that spins with its wire.

Im pretty sure this would solve my problems, so if anyone knows of any kind of place please let me know!?
mad love people, just... mad love x x x

Is it just dirty and not spinning?

You can clean it pretty easily.

Take the sticker off the back, and spray some WD40 or something in the little hole. Let it evaporate, and put the sticker back on. If the sticker doesn't stick, use ducttape. It is important to have something covering the hole, or it will get nasty real quick.

ok cool man, sounds like a plan!!I hope anyway *thumbs up* ill get some wd40 tomorrow, but for now, do you know of any good online shops i can look at the fans and stuff for?
anything would be great.. ive actually not been able to find any places... its just got embarassing now ;P
mad love

ok, well i was just looking up something on the laptop, wasnt gonna be too long on it, what witht eh over heating an all, but i had to install a printer driver.. and lo and behold, while it was installing the fan came back to life! :rolleyes:
but then after it had installed, and i browsed the net for a bit, once again the fan decided to not come back on till it over heated and shut down again.
cant get hold of any wd40 till sunday, so anymore help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know what this could mean? If the fan works for a one off, for no reason, then decides to be redundant again?

Cheers again people!! xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom