Step By Step

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEELERGLENN

In Runtime
i am going to install a new version of windows on to my lap-top. i need to know how do i keep all my current stuff? were do i put it? etc i need help? do i back it up? i will need step by step instructions. if you can help can you make it computer instructions for a dummy. this is my first time doing this? sorry i want to make sure i do this right.

The answer depends on many variables and you haven't supplied sufficient information.
What data is important to you, where is it, do you have any partitions or more than one HDD, are you upgrading one version of windows to another or are you dual booting or a complete fresh install?

well i guess i want to keep everything. how do i find were everything is? i think i have one hard drive? i am uninstalling this version because it's a copy that is not autheic. a complete fresh install. this lap-top used to be owned by another person but it cannot be updated by Microsoft windows etc. that's why i am fresh install. would the model number of the lap-top help you? i am sorry this is all new to me.

You should copy everything to a CD, or external HDD

Your Documents should be in

C:\Documents and Settings\STEELERGLENN\My Documents

C:\Documents and Settings\STEELERGLENN\My Documents\My Music

C:\Documents and Settings\STEELERGLENN\My Documents\My Pictures

Those are the default location unless you put your items somewhere else.

If you want to save your favorites copy them also

C:\Documents and Settings\STEELERGLENN\Favorites

You can't save your programs because they need to be re-installed except for some games like WOW.

Then just get your new XP cd and insert it in the cd drive, reboot and thats it

with your pc on, insert the xp cp, then reboot, then when it says press any keep to boot from cd, hit any key ( you may need to enter the bios to boot from cd or press f12 on some systems to choose the cd drive) most system will boot automatically if the cd is bootable. Then just follow the prompts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom