CPU Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariel_gg

Solid State Member
heyy, the processor AMD x2 3800 comes with a fan, and I dont know if I should to buy anther CPU cooling, better one..
(Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 939 Fan for AMD CPU) $46.00 ????

if u are going to overclock, then yes u should by an aftermarket Heatsink/fan, but not that one, a Zalman, or thermaltake big typhoon, or a Ninja scythe. but if ur not going to overclock, the stock hsf is fine.

i got the same cpu, I got the big typhoon,

i had this

3366674a34344f7178387748776d4d4c51-140x119.jpg

good for gaming, but the big typhoon is best for overclocking.

www.newegg.com

Travis18 said:
i got the same cpu, I got the big typhoon,

i had this

3366674a34344f7178387748776d4d4c51-140x119.jpg

good for gaming, but the big typhoon is best for overclocking.

www.newegg.com
'

Meh Im pretty sure the Tuniq tower and the Sycthe Nija with a high powered fan would be better.

It would be a good idea if you plan to OC your Processor. I use the CNPS 9500. I have it on a speed contoller because at 2900 RPM's, it becomes noticeably audible (not loud though).

But if I wo'nt change the cooling what can happand ??
the processor will work slower or what ??..??

it won't run slower, just hotter... and with time it can degrade the overall speed. I would personally go with a mid priced cooler like one of the ZALMAN 7000, Arctic Cooling 64's. BUt that wil depend on what your going to to with you machine... you might want one of the big boys... 7700/9500, Big Typhoon, Sycthe Ninja, etc... I have the 7700 on mine and love it... cools very nice

i'm using the coolermaster aquagate mini80. it keeps my cpu frosted no matter what i do!

an engineer's opionion on the ninja scythe, i dont like the aluminum fins.... the only real adv. aluminum gives a HS is that it makes it lighter, not better at conducting heat. i recommend the thermal take big typhoon. 6 heat pipes, copper construction. it is one of the best hsf i've seen. the more heatpipes, the more cooling it can do.

**ive seen some scythe's that have like 12 heat pipes, in that case, the extra heatpipes make up for the aluminum construction**

cwiz said:
i'm using the coolermaster aquagate mini80. it keeps my cpu frosted no matter what i do!

an engineer's opionion on the ninja scythe, i dont like the aluminum fins.... the only real adv. aluminum gives a HS is that it makes it lighter, not better at conducting heat. i recommend the thermal take big typhoon. 6 heat pipes, copper construction. it is one of the best hsf i've seen. the more heatpipes, the more cooling it can do.

**ive seen some scythe's that have like 12 heat pipes, in that case, the extra heatpipes make up for the aluminum construction**

thermal conductivity values:

Copper, Pure: 386W/m-C*
Aluminum, Pure: 220W/m-C*

The higher the value, the greater ability the metal has to conduct heat on a molecular level.

The only pure metal that beats pure copper is silver at 418W/m-C

Copper is about 3x as much as Aluminum per pound, however.

*I am positive pure metals are not used for such applications, but at least a baseline is given for comparison.

As far as the heat sink - I'll look up some geometries and put it into Ansys to analyze the heat transfer rates. Wait, I aint gonna do that.

Buy the copper heat sink - my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom