three questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokuwakakera

Baseband Member
ok, I want to connect my two computors so that I can play LAN games of Americas army ect. what cable do I need to do this and do I need any software?

Can I print a document, from one of the computors, if I connect the two computors?

also, I have dial up, can I connect to the internet on both computors if I get a spilter box, and connect the phonecables to both computors, or will that not work?

it would be simpler, but more expensive, if u got cable/adsl and connected them both to a router
most have a 4 port swicth on the back
and if u wanna spen a bit mor u can even get one that alows u to connect a printer
install the drivers on both pcs and voila
and also once u had that box all the cables u would need would be to cat5 cables
they would alsoo be set up for lan gaming then

^^^ Unfortunatly, broadband isn't available everywhere...

ok, yes, to connect the computers, you would have to use Cat 5 cable (recommend Cat 5e), and also, you have to make sure each PC has a NIC card. It looks like a phone jack, but wider, for 8 wires. If you are connecting the PC's DIRECTLY, the cable needs to be a CROSS-OVER cable. I recommend using a Straight through cable, and a cross over adaptor.

As far as the printer goes, if you have it connected to 1 computer, you can SHARE the printer with the other computer, and they will both be able to successfully print to it, without having to move cables, and reconnect this and that.

As far as getting both PC's online, you could do ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC that has the modem, or you can get a Dialup router like the Netgear FR328S, however, at $189 BEFORE shipping, it is VERY expensive, as there seems to be little market for a product like that. For info on ICS, there are some threads about it in the Networking & Internet Access forum.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
^^^ Unfortunatly, broadband isn't available everywhere...

ok, yes, to connect the computers, you would have to use Cat 5 cable (recommend Cat 5e), and also, you have to make sure each PC has a NIC card. It looks like a phone jack, but wider, for 8 wires. If you are connecting the PC's DIRECTLY, the cable needs to be a CROSS-OVER cable. I recommend using a Straight through cable, and a cross over adaptor.

very true.

where could I buy one of the Cat 5, Raido Shack?

Pretty much any computer store around will have one.

And yes, most Radio Shacks have them. (Aren't they called TheSource now?)

Yes, just about ANY PC retailer or electronics store would have it... Ask for "Cat 5e cable" or "RJ-45 cable"... they will be able to tell you if they have it. If you are out in the sticks, a call ahead would be best. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom