Copy 2 DVD's at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Lou

Baseband Member
I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I am building a computer, and so far I have 2 NEC 16x DVD burners so that I can pop in a DVD and copy it. However, my roomate has 1500 DVD's. I was wondering, would I be able to copy 2 different DVD's at the same time? If so, I will probably get 4 DVD burners.

wtf it will too slow, when u put two devices in the same ide cable,things slow down when both are trying to do something.

This would eat so many compute cycles. You wouldnt be able to do anything else on the PC at all.

Plus saying that they are your roomates DVD's leads me to think of pirating since they do not belong to you and that is the only legal way to backup dvd's.

But to answer your question i would have to ask 2 things. 1 do you run SATA HDD's? If not how would you run 4 DVD drives with no HDD's.
2. I understand the point. But simply put you wouldnt be able to use the PC for nothign else and you run the risk of currupting the burns. Do you want to risk that?

But other than that i would say it wouldnt be adivsed. Guess this will get closed since it borders on Piracy which is against the rules.

So I guess the feasable answer is no. Sorry if this walks the thin line of piracy, but technically they are part of my DVD collection as well.

I do have 2 HD's, but I didn't know if I had 4 DVD drives, each would need it's own HD.

Thanks for the help!

you can do it with sata or scsi or usb dvd drives, ide drives make it almost impossible because the ide setup doesnt allow the drives to read or write data at the same time when they are hooked up to the same cable, so if you try to do it, it may work but it will like 8 times slower than doing them one at a time

I have a PC with 2 dvd drives and I can read or write to both at the same time no problem, but they both arent hooked to one ide cable or share a cable with the HD the data is read from

While we are on this subject. If I pop in a DVD in one drive, will I be able to burn to the other drive no problem?

if on separate ide cables possibly depending on the software and the buffer size it uses, "burn free" technology is good but it isnt foolproof

the problem here isnt the idea itself, its an issue with the way ide works, scsi or sata or even usb doesnt have this problem

ide isnt duplex, and it wont send date to more than one drive at a time, and it also has more control bits and cycles to move the data around, in other words its quite inefficient---with dvd's even running at 4X its like 5mb's per second, thats a sizable chunk of bandwidth to deal with

yes, the only difference between copying with one burner adn with two is that when you have ONE burner, you cache the data on your hard drive, then you burn that cache onto the blank DVD. With two burners, (or a reader and a writer) you can copy "on the fly" which jsut means the casch is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and as you rip one, its being burned onto the blank (there is a bit of caching but its not the whole DVD)

I dont understand how you get 4 burners. you only have 2 burners mentioned and you can only use two at a time, you can rip two DVDs at once, or you can burn two at the same time, or rip one and burn on one, or any combination like that.....

like Makaveli213 said: all of that will eat up your CPU especially if your burning or ripping both at the same time....

best way to do it is just dont use ide dvd drives or use at least one thats usb or sata or scsi, it avoids the problem altogether

you can do it. especially if you have the same dvd burners. google cdrwin. you can do 32 drives with it. nero supposely let you do it. I can't find the feature in nero. instant cd/dvd 6, 7 or 8 will let you do it.

if you try it with different drives, you will get coasters. you will probably need a raid or sata for more drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom