DVD Progressive Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer

In Runtime
I am wondering if computer DVD drives support progressive scan playback? I cant find any info on it at all, can somone please help?

Special card is needed for normal prog scan, there are some DVD players that have it, I believe.

What?

DVD's are MPEG2 @ 720 pixels wide.

The only way that it is possible to watch a DVD on a computer NOT in progressive scan is to set your CRT monitor to an interlaced mode.

In short:

Slayer said:
I am wondering if computer DVD drives support progressive scan playback? I cant find any info on it at all, can somone please help?

YES. All computers that play DVD's play them as progressive scan.

Orayn said:
I too wonder about this. Also, can computers upconvert signals to 720p?

YES. All computers that play DVD's can scale the videos to anything they want,

killians45 said:
Special card is needed for normal prog scan, there are some DVD players that have it, I believe.

NO. All computers that play DVD's already have what's necessary to decode MPEG2 at 720p, p in 720p meaning progressive scan.

Edit: Turn's out DVD's are 720 pixels wide, so it's not 720p.

Here: Anything having to do with TV's like "progressive scan" and "720p" and "up/down covert" don't apply to playing DVD's on a computer.

If I have the resolution set on my computer to 2048x1536, and I play a "fullscreen" DVD, in fullscreen on my computer, thats "up converting" a 720*X to 2048x1536.

When a DVD is "up converted" to 720p, there is no extra detail that you wouldn't see on a computer. It's just being scaled to fit your HDTV.

When playing a DVD on the computer, it's the same as just watching an AVI or MPEG file. There is nothing analog about it. DVD's just have files on them, .vob files...

so basically my computer can play dvd's at the highest resolution possible. buying a nice dvd player would not make a nicer picture on my hdtv than playing the dvd through my computer and outputed to the hdtv?

Thats correct.

The only benefit of getting an HDTV and an uber nice DVD player would be that its bigger. But you could get a 30" LCD that is twice the resolution of an HDTV for half the cost of the HDTV+DVD player.

Well, as far as newer players, I am unsure... however, older DVD players you needed a card to play it. I'm gonna see what info I can find, because although the monitor has progressive scan capabilities I'm unsure what a vid card will run each RGB at, so its a question of seeing if all hardware together (vid, drive, monitor (given, it is) is able.

Dude, what are you talking about?

Playing a DVD on a computer is exactly the same as playing an MPEG2 file. The DVD is just a storage medium on which the MPEG2's are delivered.

If the DVD player can read DVD's then it reads the MPEG2 exactly the same as any other DVD player.

Progressive scan DVD on PC's were 3rd or 4th generation players. Was looking this up, and according to what I've read it depends not just on the monitor being progressive, but also on the output via the vid card and the ability to decode, as well as the DVD drive itself (earlier DVD drives you needed a decoder card and newer ones have it built into the chipset). Here is an example of an older card:

http://www.avguide.com/product?id=32

Like I said, though, this is older hardware and really he should have no problem with newer drives and vid cards.

Also, here is something else to let you know it is not ONLY the monitor job to display:

Progressive scan is now the standard of choice for both DVD video and DTV. To use and view progressive scanning technology the source (DVD player, High-definition cable or satellite for example) and the display must both be progressive scan compatible.

Lol, I can see that you don't know what you're talking about.

Like I said earlier, unless you set your CRT monitor on an interlaced mode, which is unusable because you cant read text, it is operating in progressive scan mode. The same goes for LCD's.

DVD's are a high-capacity storage medium that supply you with MPEG2 videos. They are decrypted, decoded and displayed on your computer screen at full resolution progressive scan mode.

That card you linked us to is a TV-OUTPUT that OUTPUTS progressive scan for a TV.

Anything having to do with "upconvert" just means that its stretching the video to 720p for an HDTV.

This is the same concept as shrinking and enlarging the video window on your computer screen.

A DVD player reads MPEG2 no matter what. All DVD readers are capable of progressive scan. It's the TV OUTPUT that gets the final word on that. The TV OUTPUT is the part that will interlace or not interlace the signal. Progressive scan or interlacing has nothing to do with the DVD drive, it has everything to do with the TV OUTPUT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom