Win98 locks up when trying to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mnfshrman

Beta member
Hello everyone,

During startup of Win98 the system would pop-up an error that says "gdi.exe and Windows must be reinstalled". It does the same thing in Safe Mode.

I have tried to reinstall WIN98 and it started kicking up errors like crazy. I really didn't want to unistall and than reinstall, but will do it if I have too. The biggest problem is that I'm not very Computer savy and I live in the middle of NO WHERE. Any help or guides I could print out would sure be appreciated.

David

Easiest thing to do is to use the format option right on the disc to format the PC and re-install 98.

Put the CD in the tray. When your PC Boots hit the key that will allow you to enter the BIOS Setup. that is the first screen that shows up. Make sure you are able to boot from CD Drives.

After that allow the PC to reboot real quick. then there will be a message that pops up "Hit any key to boot form CD....." hit a key to boot form the CD.

It will start to take you thru the Setup. Make sure you follow the prompts. From there make sure you choose to format the Drive and then install 98 right on the same drive.

Before you do all of that make sure you have all device drivers that you will need for the PC before you format. That way after you format you will be able to re-install all the hardware. To find what you need go to the My Computer Icon and right click on it. From there click on the Properties option. Under that there should be the Device Manager. That will give you the list of devices installed and what drivers you are using.

Make sure you download them first.

I can't even get into windows to look at the devices installed. If I do a unistall, and then reinstall it, do I loose everything that was on the computer to begin with? The option to Format the whole computer will be the very last option.

Well then your best option id to follow my above directions to get to the Disc. See if there is a repair option. It has been a while since i used 98 so i dont remember if they have that option available back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom