Samba Server Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbduballstrs

Baseband Member
First off I'm pretty new to Linux so bare with me. I set up an old PC at work as a file server with Samba to store music. I setup an account on my distro(ubuntu) then imported it to Samba Server. It worked fine except it wonuldn't let me write to it when I access it from my windows PC. So I decided to start over and recreate it but this time adding a username that is exactly identical with my NT user account and another problem arose. Now I can't even access it. The permissions on the share are Read/Write for everyone but yet I can't even get into it from any windows machine. It's an access denied error by the way. Oh and the drive I'm using is an external drive with an NTFS file system.

The fact is that you can't write to NTFS directly from Linux. You can with captiventfs but it's still being worked on so I wouldn't trust it. What you might want to do is use a different filesystem, preferably ext3.

Unless you actually mount the drive to the file system using Samba (which may or may not even be possible), you are just sending files to the Windows box and Windows would be writing the files to NTFS. No, Linux can't write NTFS very well, but that wouldn't matter over a network.

set it back the way it was the first time, then open the smb.conf file with a text editor and change the appropriate line in the section where it defines the drive or folder on the ubuntu box to your sharing to "writeable = yes" , no quotes and with the spaces around the equal sign

not sure where ubuntu puts that file but it will be somewhere in /etc , probably in /etc/samba

The General said:
Unless you actually mount the drive to the file system using Samba (which may or may not even be possible), you are just sending files to the Windows box and Windows would be writing the files to NTFS. No, Linux can't write NTFS very well, but that wouldn't matter over a network.

Yea, that's why I said DIRECTLY from Linux. Read before you reply.
Besides, it seems like he meant that the external HDD is connected to the Linux machine...

kostas said:
Yea, that's why I said DIRECTLY from Linux. Read before you reply.
Besides, it seems like he meant that the external HDD is connected to the Linux machine...

Everything I said was a true statement. And I wasn't even talking to you...

Unplug your keyboard before you flame me next time. That way none of us have to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom