"rnaapp"? help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiseguyz408

Baseband Member
Ok Lets take it from the top I have gotten several problems all in the corse of a day.

1) When i tryed to turn on my computer i recieved the message on a black screen "no boot record found system haulted". After several times of letting it rest and then re starting i finally was able to get into windows.

2) When i got past that and the noraml black boot screen came up the error messages came up "To Many Parameters" And "ERROR: Cannot import c:\link.reg: File not found". Then after about 10 seconds it dissapers and windows starts normally. This happends now everytime i start my computer.

3) When i got past that and i get into my computer it runs very odd. The computer Semi-Freezes for about 30 seconds every so often. It usually happens when I move my mouse to fast or open a folder or program.

3) When I tryed to connect to the internet ( I am on 56k Wallmart Connect) i Received the error message "Port is invalid or Busy".

4) I opened my task list manager and noticed a program running that i had never before seen called "rnaapp". If i end task on this program it reappears everytime i restart.

5) When i end task on "rnaapp" the freezing stops and i am able to connect to the internet. But once i connect to the internet "rnaapp" re appears in the task list and the freezing starts again. If i try to end task on "rnaapp" while connected to the internet i am disconnected and receieve the error message "WMM has caused an illegal operation and must be shut down"

My virus definitions are up to date and it does not detect any virusus or spyware. I am totally clueless as to what is happening and it is keeping me from using my computer properly. Any Help on fixing this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

my email adress is wiseguyz408@wmconnect.com
If any help can be given i would appreicate if possible it can be sent there.

Please do NOT cross post your message in the forums. Post it once only! Thanks======MicroBell

That is the Remote Network Access Application for Windows dial-up. It's trying to access the internet via dial-up and is causing the problems. You may want to list some more information like the OS (Windows ?).

I had a similar problem with an older machine with Windows 95 (yes, a long time ago) when I installed some FAX software.

Have you installed something new like FAX software? You may need to uninstall your dial-up modem and re-install it.

Dave :D

Thanks for reply,

I am currently running Windows 98SE

I have not recently installed anything these problems just occured out of no where today.

Im really comp illiterate so could you tell me how do i un/re install my dial up modem. also would i need a disk to reinstall it?

Thanks,
Ron

This can also happen if you have a modem that is going bad, or gone bad. It's something about the dialing sequence and since it's not sequencing correctly, you'll get the error message(s).

If you do an uninstall and then re-install the modem, you'll need whatever disk came with in for the appropriate drivers. Removing the file is usually not recommended to us non-techies, even though I've done it with a lot of help.

Maybe one of the techie people can help with step-by-step instructions.

I'll get this moved to the appropriate forum and you'll get more responses.

Dave :D

Ok i want to reinstall the modem but i need some steps on how.

I have a CD that came with my PC called

" Drivers and Utilities For reinstalling V.90 PCI Controller-Based Data/Fax/Voice Modem For Windows Software"

"includes .inf files for 3CP3298-DEL (19YRD) Diagnostic Test Program for microsoft windows
Diagnostic test program for MS-DOS
PhoneTools telephony software
Oneline users guide"

Is this the correct CD i will need? and how do i do it?

Also by uninstlling and reinstalling this will this in any way affect my Phone Tools Fax and the saved faxes?

Thanks,
Ron

you may have also stuck itself in res memory and is not releasing the port. best bet is to goto start, settings, control panel and go into dialup networking. You should see something like client for microsoft windows, dialup adapter, and TCP/IP or similar. Uninstall/remove you client for microsoft network. this will remove everything. also NOTE: You MAY need to contact the ISP for any special string settings, etc. Just tell them you reinstalled the Dial Up Networking and has to be reconfigured. Anyhow, if it prompts a restart, go ahead. ALSO have your windows cd handy, thats important. Anyhow, go back to start, settings, control panel and add BACK in Client for Microsoft Networks, it should automatically add Dialup adapter and TCP-IP and will more than likely ask for the windows cd. Finally goto start, programs, DOS/Command. then type the following in:

cd windows\system <return>
extract /a d:\win98\win98_42.cab rnaapp.exe <return>
NOTE: It maybe: extract /a d:\win98se\win98_42.cab rnaapp.exe
win it says to overwrite, choose yes

this SHOULD fix it. more than likely the beginning before going to dos should fix it, but may as well do it all and make sure.

Thx i will try that as soon as you veirify something for me.

I did a little experimenting with the startup programs and realised that it is my Panda Anti Virus Platinum software that is causing 'rnaapp' to run when i start my computer. When i go to msconfig and uncheck the options to have auto protect and such on it doesnt show up on restart, but when i connect to the internet 'rnaapp' shows in task list again but it doesnt freeze like before.

I need to have my auto protect on so having it off isnt really an option. would i have to do anything different to make it stop loading 'rnaapp' at startup with out disabiling auto protect?

Thanks,
Ron

well, I would keep panda the way it is and just do what I mentioned above. could be that it was corrupted or that a conflict occured. reinstalling and extracting this file may do the trick.

one thing you may want to do is go into panda's control panel and disable auto updates. panda is probably trying to connect and is opening that process for an autoupdate. disabling it (not sure where in the software) should help. rnaapp in itself is NOT a part of panda, but panda looks to be utilizing it. and the only thing it would need that for is to update via dialup connection.

Yea i already did that but it did nothing.

Im going to try the steps you gave me but can you tell me what this means.

"You MAY need to contact the ISP for any special string settings, etc"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom