dell desktops.. which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry eh? havent ever seen you before. but i just joined in february so, yeah. anywayz. i understand the desktop from dell, but why the server? dell is killer when it comes to servers, its ridiculously overpriced no? couldnt u build ur own server?

The owner huh? Tell a bunch of companies that you own tech-forums and want to test out their system... might be able to get it a lot cheaper.... mabe not but its worth a shot right?

buying a dell computer

okay... WOW... want a learning experience :)
thanks everyone for the post/info, etc.

I figured a few things out and wanted to offer my NEW knowledge when buying a Dell computer :)

1) dell's site is a little tricky until you figure out that SMALL BUSINESS and HOME OFFICE are two separate sections of the website.... there are other big sections.... the tricky part, once you select one section, you can't switch to each other... YOU NEED TO BACK ALL THE WAY OUT... then go into another area.

when you save configs to come back to (mainly for comparing systems) SMB and HO are not in the same cart :(

2) Dell is VERY tricky on pricing computers. It seems they have only one computer and it has 50 names.

3) I was trying to configure a PC I wanted and must have done the same thing 15 times... no matter what type/name/different model --- the price always came to $730 to $770 or so

4) I tried using coupons from these sites (which are good sites)
but it takes work to use them :)
dealnews.com
dealcatcher.com
gotapex.com

NOTE: coupons are generally only for certain types/models.... gotapex tells you which ones :)

5) coupons, instant savings, and some many computers that are really almost ALL the same --- I mean, if you really think about it...
you can configure different models to have same components.... then you really have the same PC.

6) I was going to order the XPS 400 (priced at 736)... after many tries, configurations quoted, etc. etc. I did that on thursday/friday... I was DONE.
so before I ordered today... I thought I check one last time...
new deal came out.... the 9150... same components... same price... BUT guess what.. this one ALSO has a 19 flat panel....
WOW... 3 days go by... I end up getting free 19 flat panel
((of course, its price is included))

7) I used to think dell was expensive and they probablly are... BUT if you look hard enough... over a 7-14 day period.. you will come across a good deal.

some deals only last short amount of time :)

anyway==
yeah... look at my future network additions!!!!!!!!!!
-- SonicWALL TZ 170
-- some switch 8 ports
-- desktop 9150 priced at $769
-- PowerEdge 1800 priced at $1059

the configurations are listed below

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Dimension 9150 Qty 1
Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition Unit Price $1,119.00
Save $350 on select Dimension™ 9150 desktops through Dell Small Business!
Special offer
- $350.00

Catalog Number: 4 2D91H11
Module Description Show Details
Processor Pentium® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard
Monitors 19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
Hard Drives 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader No Floppy Drive Included
Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Network Interface Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Modem No Modem Requested
Document Management Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Optical Drive Single Drive: 16x DVD+/-RW with double layer write capability
Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Speakers No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
Productivity Software Pre-Installed No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
Security Software Pre-Installed No Security Subscription
Digitial Music Musicmatch by Yahoo! Music - Basic music software
Digital Photography Corel Photo Album™ 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos
Dell Service & Support Plans 2 Year On-site Economy Plan
Onsite System Setup No Onsite System Setup
Internet Access Service 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Mail-In Rebate None
Miscellaneous Dimension 9150
Financial Software No Financial Software Selected - Includes Limited QuickBooks Trial
Future Operating Systems Windows Vista™ Capable
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.

TOTAL:$769.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM COMPONENTS
PowerEdge 1800 Qty 1
Intel® Xeon™ Processor at 2.8GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, No Operating System Unit Price $2,106.00
Save $1047 on select PowerEdge 1800 systems.
Special offer
- $1,047.00

Catalog Number: 4 PE1800SD8
Module Description Show Details
PowerEdge 1800 Intel® Xeon™ Processor at 2.8GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
Operating System No Operating System
Additional Processor Intel® Xeon™ Processor at 2.8GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
Memory 1GB DDR2 400MHz (2X512MB), Single Ranked DIMMs
Keyboard Dell Quietkey USB Keyboard
Monitor No Monitor Option
Primary Hard Drive 160GB 7.2K RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary Controller CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive
Mouse USB 2-button Mouse
Network Adapter Onboard NIC
CD/DVD Drive 48X IDE CD-ROM
Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
2nd Hard Drive 160GB 7.2K RPM SATA Hard Drive
Hard Drive Configuration Add-in SATA card RAID 1, 2 drives required
Chassis Configuration Rack Chassis- No Rail included
Hardware Support Services 3Yr BASIC NBD: L1 Hardware Queue, Next Business Day Onsite, M-F 8am-6pm
Installation Support Services No Installation Assessment
Power Supply Non-Redundant Power Supply
Mail- In Rebate None
Purchase Intent Purchase is not intended for resale.
Technical Sales Representative Contact Yes

TOTAL:$1,059.00

some thoughts I would add...

the 9150 machine.... I honestly can't believe its that quiet!!!!
I could be comparing it to my LOUD machine.... but it is almost silent. Sometimes, when other machines are off... I don't know its on. BTX = IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!

now my server... holly smokes... it is LOUD, I'm having to put it in my closet and put whole i the wall for exhaust, etc. etc.

anyway... pretty happy with my purchases, especially when I bought the server ---- it even cost more today than I special I got back then :)

good day!

Glad you're happy, Larry.

If that server is a big one, I can understand it being loud. At work, they are chucking an old one. It's about 6-6.5 feet tall, and weighs a lot (forklift was straining to lift it, but it is a smallish electric one). That thing has all kinds of fans built into removable bays, sorta weird.

If I had a way to move it (and my wife wouldn't kill me), I'd bring it home. but it is set up to run on some heavy-duty voltage (looked like a 440 plug).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom