Laptop and harddrives question

Status
Not open for further replies.

heguru

In Runtime
I want to buy a laptop. But I need two hardrives. If I use one username/password on login screen, I will go to harddrive1. If I use second UN/PW, I will go to hardrive2.

Programs, software and files installed on hd1 should not be accessible to hd2 user and vise versa. EVERYTHING SHOULD different. Possible?

What to buy?

Please.. please... help me!!

thanks, heg

why dont you do 1 hard drive with a dual boot ? why do you need 2 hard drives ? you can do what you are saying with 1 hard drive and 1 OS even.

Can you please explain it how to do it? I don't even know I can do it with one hard drive :)

sure ill try,

well first i dont know what kind of enviroment you are in if it is for your own personal use or for a company but.....

-Install XP

-Goto to control panel>>User Accounts

-Add all the users you need to add for the systems

-Install all the programs you want on that machine for all the users, you do it under administrator

-Now if you go to C:\program files\..... and then on each folder of the program you installed, right click and go to properties and then the security tab.

-Add and remove users as needed, make sure system and administrator never gets removed.

-If a user is not on that list for that folder they will be denied access to that folder and the contents inside, add the user you would like to be allowed to use those programs and so on.

i hope that helps you, if you tell me what kinda enviroment you are in and maybe your specfic needs are for the system, i can suggest a better way to do it to fit you needs.

oh i forgot to mention, i think the security tab is only on pro, which by you saying that i assume you are on home ed. ?

yes. Home edition.

If I install Windows XP professional, I can do that?

When user1 clicks on 'Start' button > Programs , he won't see the programs and software assigned only to user2 in Professional version?

I want complete segregation for both users.

Thanks much for your time :)

Yes, as long as you set everything up correctly (permissions and whatnot), the users will be segregated... They will be able to see common areas, as I don't think you can restrict access to the Windows folder, but if you have 2 HDD's in the laptop, it could be possible to restrict access to the 2nd HDD from a user.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Yes, as long as you set everything up correctly (permissions and whatnot), the users will be segregated... They will be able to see common areas, as I don't think you can restrict access to the Windows folder, but if you have 2 HDD's in the laptop, it could be possible to restrict access to the 2nd HDD from a user.

1. What do you mean by 'Windows folder'?

2. My intention is: user1 should only access hd1 and see only programs installed on it and same with user2. Can I install programs seperately on different drives?

maybe try just partitioning 1 hard drive so it looks like 2 hard drive to the computer using it
this is much easier and cheaper than buying two hard drives
some high end laptops have 2 drives in them
but most are in a raid array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom