Some can see and some cant see each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobkon

Baseband Member
Hey all, I have a network set up here at my office. about 8 or 9 computers are on the network. They are all under the network name "Workgroup". most computers can see each other fine, but some can see one while the other cant. One of the computers specifically can see everyone, but none of the other comps can see it. Any suggestions of what to do? Everything is shared, everything is under the same network etc. All connections are solid and everything can connect to the web perfectly fine (all comps are running under the same router). Thanks for the help!

try running network setup wizard on the ones that cant see any machines ?

also on the machines that cant see other machines try going to start>>run and typing "\\machinename" no quotes of course and see if you can browse that machines folders that are shared.

also on the check the permessions on the shares make sure all the users can asscess them.

thanks for the reply. on the one machine thats the main problem, it can see alot of the computers, but not ONE can see it. It is added to the same network (i did it again to make sure) and i also clicked Run>>//machinename. It did not see any machine when I did that, but it can see some machines in My Network Connections. Any other suggestions? sort of confused here. t hanks!

you have to use the \\ in run and not put in machine name lol sorry about that i should have been more specfic. like say you have a machine named bob and you want to see what bob is sharing you go to start and run and then type \\bob and press enter, you have to know the machines name for it to work. if you do that and you dont see any shares then you didnt say up any shares because you can do that even if your computers are on different work groups.

are you running home or pro also ? or 98 or whatever?

and like i said try running network set up wizzard just to double check and make sure the settings are correct.

King X13 said:
you have to use the \\ in run and not put in machine name lol sorry about that i should have been more specfic. like say you have a machine named bob and you want to see what bob is sharing you go to start and run and then type \\bob and press enter, you have to know the machines name for it to work. if you do that and you dont see any shares then you didnt say up any shares because you can do that even if your computers are on different work groups.

are you running home or pro also ? or 98 or whatever?

and like i said try running network set up wizzard just to double check and make sure the settings are correct.

Haha, yes I was fully aware of that, i did not actually type "machinename" as the machine name, thats sort of stupid, haha. Anyway, heres the update of the situation.

I solved 2 of the 3 problems. The last problem is with the computer called "gateway". Heres the problems...

*Gateway can see all computers on the network fine thru Network Places and access all of them.

*All other computers can see gateway on the network, but none of them can access it. I get a standard "\\Gateway is not accessible. you might not permission to use this network resource etc. etc."

Gateway is part of the same network, I have tried to re-add and reboot with no luck. I have made sure the main drive is shared on the Gateway.

The Gateway is the only computer in the office running Windows 2000, every other computer is running XP.

Hope that helps. Thanks in advance!

Part #1
Make sure you have a folder setup for sharing, then go into computer management, make sure “Guest” account is enabled, now go into local security policies and these are the setting you want to be aware about.

1)"Access this computer from the network"
2)"Deny access to this computer from the network"
3)"Deny logon locally"

#1 Make sure the "Everyone" group is listed there if you want to share files.

#2 Make sure the "Everyone" group or any other group is NOT listed there.

#3 Since you enable the “Guest” account, you must make sure it can't log on to the computer locally. The account is only used to log on to network shares and has limited permission for security reason. The “Guest” account is in the “Everyone” group.

Part #2
Make sure you can ping the machine and the machine can ping other machines. An easy way to fix some network issue with windows is to right click on the network connection and select repair.

A sure way of doing this is to open up command prompt and type nbtstat -R and netsh interface ip delete arpcache then disable and enable your network connection or restart the machines. Do this for all the computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom