Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

chachi15

Solid State Member
My situation is this, i have a wired router which is attached to the cbl modem, what i want to do is keep this wired router and attach a wireless router to this wired router, i dont want to get rid of the wired router i wouldl ike to keep it and have the wireless router and suggestions on how to connect both of these together with out any probleems occuring?

take the wired router, wan to cable modem(like it currently is) disable DHCP on the wireless router and plug a cable from the lan of the wired router to the lan of the wireless router, you'll have to change the lan IP's on both however.

I dont understand what you mean by i would have to change the lan IP's, whats that mean and how would i go about doing this

when you go into the router to configure it through a web browser you have the option to change the lan IP address, you have to change this because both are either going to be on a completely different subnet or have conflicting IPs.

Is there anyway possible you could give me a step by step decription of going about connecting both routers, thanks

depends on the router, most of what i talked about is going to be explained in the user manual

what you're going to need to do is get a cat5 cable and connect one of the lan ports on the wireless to one of the lan ports on the wired router, enter the config page on the wireless and make both lan ip's compatible, and disable dhcp on one of the routers(probably the wired one)

for example make one router 192.168.1.1 and the other router 192.168.1.2, if you don't they'll confusse each other and chances are it'll reak havoc.

yes, because if the lan on the wireless router is connected to the lan of the wired router(and they are both on the same subnet(like stated earlier one as 192.168.1.1 and one as 192.168.1.2)with DHCP disabled on the wired router) the wireless will serve DHCP to the lans of both routers as well as the wireless.

most likely yes, if your wireless clients don't pick up an ip(which they should anyway) then let the wireless one assign IP's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom