Sata/ide

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi,

I am buying a Raptor hard drive and I need to get a new motherboard that has SATA ports. My first concern is that my cd drive uses IDE so how will I connect it to the mother board?

My second concern is that I keep seeing micro ATX motherboards. Are these bad? I know they are smaller than ATX but are they different than having an ATX motherboard in any other way?

Thanks,
Ted

Your cd drive will still connect to the mobo, all mobos now have SATA and the IDE ports on it.

Yeah, I just looked online and noticed. Thanks though.

What about my second question though, about the micro ATX boards, do they have a downfall to them besides being smaller than ATX boards?

Well wioth micro ATX boards they usually aren't as good at over clocking compared to full size ATX's, and they usually don't come with as much features and sometimes, they can get hotter than fullsize ATX boards. All in all, there sin't too big of a difference. My first build had a micro ATX mobo and it was fine. It worked perfect and i had no problems. Don't worry about it being Micro ATX, it will still be good. Which mobo were you wanting to purchase?

u have an AM2 processor? just making sure btw, because i doubt that you have an AM2 processor, and the motherboard for it doesnt have SATA. go to google, type in Cpu-z, and see which processor u have and which socket it is.

I know, I decided to just upgrade my cpu, video card, and motherboard all right now and it will make things easier instead of staying with old technology. I am going to buy the Athalon FX-62, so eah that is AM2. And, also that motherboard does have SATA, 2 - 1.5Gb/s and 2 - 3Gb/s. I just never had any experience with SATA ports and I don't know what they look like. Do you know if a Dell Dimension 8300 motherboard has SATA ports? I can't find the specs online, also I don't know what it looks like, and also I am on vacation right now so I couldn't check. So maybe you know if that Dell model has SATA ports?

EDIT
Oh I just noticed your post, a SATA controller would work for my Dell thanks.

I looked at some SATA controller cards, the cheaper ones, because I don't want to spend alot on a SATA port, and all the reviews for all the ones I read said they had many problems. Which SATA controller card under 20 maybe 30 dollars is worth getting so I won't get corrupt data, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom