dell desktops.. which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Hello... yes... long time no see :)

work, family, same ole, same ole.... TRUST ME....I'm not doing it on purpuse !!!

Hope everyone is doing okay!

So... I'm going to get a Dell :(
mostly for the sake of easiness and (if there is a problem, they fix it next day??) I bought a dell like 6 years ago and have not bought one since... built my last 4 myself.

But I need a new one (actually upgrading my network also)

SO... I need 2 desktops....
1) a workstation (must be quiet--yes, build your own if you want it quiet) will be my multimedia machine (DVD stuff for home use,etc and great CPU performance for my work stuff) --- no gaming.

2) a server that will mostly be my file server (just be the data for my business and the 2-3 workstations AND my email)
email will most likely be MS outlook (unless you have a better solution)

My main question is SCSI vs. SATA vs. 10RPM drives vs. ATA????

obviously scsi cost the most.
regular drives can give me tons of storage for small price.

My question, will a 7200 HD with 3GB/s and 16 mb cache be fine for my needs??????????????????

I'm guessing, did a test and asked others.... I don't need SCSI because I don't have enough data (as in a large Database) in order to justify the price for scsi server???

for me to transfer a 10 mg file with 7200 HD or a scsi HD is not noticable the difference in speed. (right?)

same thing.... if I transfer 200 files each being 50kb.... I will not see any difference if my file server is running 7200HD vs 15,000rpm scsi HD.... (right?)

IF there is a difference.... I'm thinking, I should then get a WD raptor drive... that should make it not noticeable. Right?

so... any reviews, thoughts, opions as to what is the most quiet dell machine that has great performance?

Is my HD thinking accurate?

thanks for your help!!

OMG ITS LARRY!!!!

how ya doing man!!! glad to see you back lol

well it all depends on your budget. You will a noticable increase from 7200 RPM to 10,000 and a noticable increase from 10,000 to 15,000

for the server I would look here
http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/enterprise?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

for work station
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXPS400F1&s=dhs

take out the monitor and thats around 800 dollars and acctualy is a sweet deal, 1GB of ram too :)

If you are transfering those files across a network, you wouldn't notice any difference in HDD rpm's.

wow, this is the first time i've actually seen you online since i joined.

if you could post a price that would be very heplful.

The BTX form factor is supposed to be pretty quiet.

Although you're going to be using the other system as a server, why does it have to actually be a server? A box with muliple storage drives can be used as a server.

I understand you using Dell for ease of use and all, but they use Intel. BTX aside, current Intels run hot, and therefore need more cooling, which equates to more/faster fans. Just a thought off the top of my head.

Oh, and great to see you back on the boards. Nice to know you're still breathing and all...

price.... not that concerned with price (not that I'm rich or anything -- BUT my network NEEDS TO WORK :) ----I'm not going to save a few bucks and later find out I should have spent 100 more bucks to make it work better.

however, if I spend money on something that IS NOT going to help me.... why spend it?

The General... so are you 100% correct in that the HD will not make a real difference over the network?

my own, little test tells me that.. BUT I wanted others to confirm it.
I currently have 2 raptor drives, raid 0 and an OLD 7200 HD... I could not tell the difference. [I don't understand why???, but oh well]

I read that AMD dual core is the bomb!!!!
performance blows away any thing else.

Dell is not selling AMD dual core (yet)...
is intel dual core just as good?
[[[ *** yes, opening can of worms *** ]]]]
simple "yes" or "close" --- I guess its not no?

thanks

:)
still here... have been...
my life is in crazy, fast pace, nonstop mode.... I'm shooting for the moon and am GOING TO MAKE IT... I think so anyway :)

just need more time ( a few weeks back I was actually work 15-20 hour days for about 7 weeks straight)

one day soon I will be normal, lead a balanced life :)

thanks for help!

OH.. almost forget my question...
what is BTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom