Matching up CPU and Processor bios FSB???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
I heard it was better to match up the FSB of the cpu and ram in bios rather than in windows. For example, a amd 64 bit processor has a 800mhz fsb when active in windows, divide the FSB by 4 and you get the bios FSB of the processor and it is 200mhz. 400mhz ram FSB that is DDR is divided by 2 and the ram bios speed will be 200hhz, therefore you have the ram and processor FSB now in sync in bios 200:200.

But I would think that the higher the ram fsb, the better. Espeicailly since ther in no ram that has a speed of 800mhz yet. Would it be better to just get the fastest ram possible rather than matching the cpu and ram's FSB BIOS speed?

Boy that was a mouth full there NanoWarrior. Here is basically what you need to do. Say the FSB of the CPU is 800MHz, no memory module is that fast, right? well in dual channel module or hyperthreading, two banks of memory are used together and will achieve a total of 800MHz respectively. So, 2 PC3200 400MHz in slots 1 and 3 will create a total output of 800MHz. This is why so many motherboard companies are going back to requireing 2 modules. Rule of thumb: CPU 800MHz FSB use PC3200 400MHZ, CPU @533MHz FSB use PC2700. This should all be set up in the BIOS so you shouldn't have to do anything. Well, the higher the RAM FSB more of a chance of an unstable system and OCing. The best mixture is match speeds of the CPU and memory.

Hope this helps.

Thats where hyperthreading come in. A lot of people have forgotten about it. Basically it does the same thing as dual channel but based off the Intel platform. All intels will have hyperthreading if they support 533MHz or 800MHz FSB. So, Hyperthreading and dual channel is the same thing.

CrucialLabs said:
. So, Hyperthreading and dual channel is the same thing.

I completely disagree with u on that one Crucial.... .. Hyperthreading n' Dual channel are not the same thing ...

Hyperthreading is a process where the processor handles multiple threads by placing them one above the other.

Whereas In case of Dual channel ..it increases the bandwidth of the memory ..hence more throughput.

NOw coming to Nano's question...

Yes dude ..ur mobo does need to support 800Mhz fsb to handle a 800FSB processor.

One note from me is that with AMD 64's you can't install memory higher than 400mhz and I believe the FSB is basicly the same as the processor speed, either your best option is DDR400:confused:

Dude, my bad....oh did I step in what!?!? Thanks for pointing that out to me(embarrassed). Man, you let one thing slip and 40 people want to slap you...LOL. Really thanks for the correction.

Wow, I am not bullet proof. OUCH. ;)

The Merlin said:
One note from me is that with AMD 64's you can't install memory higher than 400mhz and I believe the FSB is basicly the same as the processor speed, either your best option is DDR400:confused:

but you can have 2 ram modules at a speed of 400mhz working off of duel channel therefore doubling to a speed of 800mhz for a amd athlon 64 bit....right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom