DDR or DDR2 SDRAM for my new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
Is DDR2 THAT much better than DDR?

I purchased two (2) sticks of Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR SDRAM Memory (KVR400/512R, PC3200/PC2700/PC2100) on sale for $30/stick after rebates a couple of weeks ago at CC.

Now the Kingston Technologies 512MB DDR2 SDRAM Memory (KVR533D2/512R, PC2-4200) is on sale for $35/stick after rebates.

My question: Is there enough difference in DDR and DDR2 that I should return the DDR and buy the DDR2? I'm buying hardware as it goes no sale so I'm in no real big hurry.

I've not opened the first memory and can return it easily.

My knowledge of the difference is that it is minimal at best. DDR2 has faster access times and therefore gives better performance than DDR memory. The difference should not be noticed unless doing some hard core computing.

My knowledge of the difference is that it is minimal at best. DDR2 has faster access times and therefore gives better performance than DDR memory. The difference should not be noticed unless doing some hard core computing.

you have it backwards, DDR has faster access times (latency) DDR2 has higher frequencies but with worse latencies. the difference is pretty minimal though. that and the fact that DDR and DDR2 go into different slots and aside from particular Intel boards you would probably not be able to use DDR2 on the same motherboard considering it is apparently made for DDR.

Would the fact that I'll be using this computer for video editing and such make a hugh difference?

In other words, is DDR2 better for this type work?

And, do you think DDR technology will be around as long as DDR2?

as nitestick stated, you can not use DDR2 on a motherboard that uses DDR memory..

DDR uses 184 pins
DDR2 uses 240 pins

it wont even fit in your motherboard.

make sure you know what type of ram your motherboard takes before your open/order anything.

Giga-Byte 8I915P DUOPRO/DDR2+DDR/A&L Mother Board
Specification
Mfr Part Number: GA-8I915P DUO PRO (REV1.1)
CPU: Supports Intel P4 LGA775 Processors (800/533MHz FSB)
Chipset: Intel 915P /ICH6 (hyper-threading Support)
Memory: Two DDR2(533/400) Or Two DDR 400/333/266 Up To 4GB(Dual Channel)
Slots: 1*PCI Express X16, 2*PCI Express X1, 2*PCI
Audio: Azalia (C-media 9880) 8-Channel Audio Codec
LAN: 2*Broadcom 5751 (PCI-E Gigabit) LAN
IDE: 3 ATA 100; 4*Serial ATA
RAID: Gigaraid Controller Supports Raid (0,1,0+1)
8*USB2.0 (4 By Cable); ATX; Retail
IEEE1394; Dual Bios; Supports CIA2 & MIB2

lol weird.. the chances of having a board that supports both..

hehe..

anyways..

just get w/e is cheaper. i'd say DDR2 is better, but is not worth a significant increase in price.

It's very strange.....but thanks for the advice.

I believe I'll attempt to get the DDR2 (hoping they're not already sold out) then return the DDR.

Is 1GB of memory sufficient or should I attempt to get 2GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom