Opinons on Temp discrepencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrillian

In Runtime
Ugh....not another temp question.

Okay I am an obssesive-compulsive control freak. There - I said it, now on to my question.

My MoBo sensors vary from aftermarket sensors by 7-12 C. Utilities such as Everest Ultimate, SpeedFan and PC Probe all jive, incuding the BIOS.

I installed an AeroCool and mounted the sensors on the undersides (not between the CPU/GPU and the HSF, just at the edge. The sensors make contact with the corner of the CPU/GPU) of the HSF's.

i.e. system temp of CPU is 44 - 52C / AeroCool sensors are 35 - 43C

Could the sensors on the MoBo be off ?

any opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.

See my sig for hardware. Thanks

Well if the aerocool sensors arent on the cpu/gpu completly it might just be reading a somewhat ambient temp. The sensors should be between the cpu/gpu and heatsink towards the middle.

No way!!! the sensors should be on top of the cpu but not under the h/s~!! You don't want to cause major block of heat transportion from the CPU to the H/S... that will simply cause a super overheat and could resault in melting your CPU or frying its transistors.

-Jo.

I think that I was not specific enough in my description of the sensor placement.

I attached them with thermal tape to the side of the HSF(s) that contact the CPU / GPU. They are in no way obstructing the thermal transfer between the top of the CPU or GPU. Both of the Zalman HSF's have a large enough footprint so that the base of the HSF has a greater area than that of the CPU or the GPU. This extra surface area is where the sensors are attached.

In the final analysis the temps are alright, even the higher rating set of the MoBo.

I'm just kinda wierd this way.....thanks for looking!

Both of those could be off, motherboard makers could never have enough time to fine-tune the sensors. You would never really be able to tell unless you get a sensor in between the HSF/CPU which is possible and has been done, I forgot where I saw it but it is very popular amongst overclockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom