WnetEnumPasswords Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes or no?

It seems it may be from both, if that is what your "Yes or No?" is refering to... the program may have caused the OS file to be inccorect. so to answer you the answer may be Yes to both.

If it is MAPI32.DLL that is causeing the problem it isn't that it is corrupt, it is that the program installed the wrong version.

it may be something else. It is very hard to tell you the answer when we dont have enough information.

the error may have nothing to do with the downloaded program at all.

you never did mention if you installed the downloaded program. after you downloaded the program, did you install the program.

"the error may have nothing to do with the downloaded program at all. "

The above sentence what I was reffering to. Thats what my qiestion was reffering to.

I extracted the files from the ZIP folder and I clicked on one of the .EXE file and that is when the error message came on.

Well, thanks. I just wont pull my hair out over this. Oh well.

So it is during the install of the program.

Hey nevr pul your hair out from anything... belive me, hold on to that as long as you can, it will eventualy fall out.... :D

Then you may want to consider running an updated virus scan program, other posts pointed towrds that error with XP reffering to a virus being ran on your computer.

do a full scan. do you have updated virus protection on your computer?

Actually no I do not. Reason:

- I use Email about 80 percent of the time
-Never OPEN ATTACHMENTS
-And setting my messages as PlainText doe the trick. Why need additional software for protection when I have common sense.

However, I do have a firewall.

do you surf the internet? Just becasue you have a firewall it doesn't mean you are protected.

the firewall will only protect you from attacks from the outside... Will do nothing for you if you surf to a web side that has a virus embedded in its code, which was placed there by a hacker that usually the web site doesnt even know it is there. then it will automatically download to your computer without youknowing, and if it is smart, it will install itself, again without you knowing...

If you choose not to run virus scan software, that is your own decision, albiet a poor decison, but it is your decison. and you have every right to do so.

If i see posts related to the error you asked about and the majority respoinded with suggestios that there may be a virus, and you want to discount that as unimportant, again, that is your decison..

just remeber a fire wall will do NOTHING to protect you from viruses.

questions:
if you use email 80% of the time, and NOT open attachments... what do you do?

what does setting you emails to plain text have anything to do with it? how will that prevent you from getting a virus?

I am not tryign to argue with you, i am just trying to help.

if u dont want to run antivirus and consume resources thats perfectly fine however there is alot of decent online virus scanners that are free and only require u to dload the activex controls for it in ie, i would stop by one of these at least once a mth
here is symantecs http://securityresponse.symantec.com/ click on check for security risks towards the bottom, i believe it only works in internet explorer

What about renaming MAPI32.DLL UNDER System32 to like mapi.dll.old? Would that work?

Going bac to the antivirus issue:

Do I own AV software? Yes. When do I scan the network? Before anything major, like an OS install or massive hardware change. That way, I know that all of my backed up data has been scanned with the latest virus protection and clear of anything up to that date. I then install the OS clean and retrieve my safe data and continue as usual without AV software sucking up resources 24/7.

Another reason I have avoided infection is I use a computer strictly for E-Mail. That's it. If anything should happen, such as unexplained memory, hard disk activity, network activity or many other ways to spot a malicious program, I can stop it before catastrophe hits. This also greatly reduces the chance of "important" files being infected across the network because the system that I use for "normal" activities has NO shared resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom