does saving a file result in the issual of a system call

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hello

does MS word when saving a file need to issue a system call to the OS, since it will need to access the hardware(hard disk)?
or in other words is saving a file a higher privilege level function since MS word needs to access hardware?

That all depends on what other applications you have running at the time. It also depends on what you have the privledges set up for. Some times you can set provledges in certain application to operate in low privledges settings. I know DVD Shrink can do it.

But the first line is the best answer. If you have Word and IE open then yes. Word would take priority over IE since it would have to access the hardware. Now if you were to have Word trying to save and access My Computer at the same time. My Computer would take priority i believe.

thanks for the reply

is my computer a file explorer application?

accessing the hard drive requires a higher privilege? or is privilege just associated with accessing the RAM?

Yes My Computer is a File Explorer Application. The Desktop is also. That is why they are both under the process of explorer.exe in the task manager.

Privledge is associated with both really. The IRQ give each device a set and the OS follows the IRQ. Basically if you access the PC using your DVD Drive and your Mouse the Mouse has a higher priority since it is higher on the IRQ list.

In the same essance if you are trying to access a web page which will bestored in the cache (RAM) or you are trying access a file on your computer the file will get first priority on your RAM rather than the Web Page.

Glad you got what i was saying. lol

But really i am glad that you found the information useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom