computer as telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplepots

Baseband Member
How do I make it so that I can use my computer as a telephone (not as a telephone through the internet, but just like a normal one)? Like, is there an application I need to get? -or- Do I hook the telephone line up to my modem or what?

to use your computer like a normal phone connect your phone line to the 56K modem and use a headset with a microphone or you can get the mic separately. these plug into your sound card inputs.

there is also something called internet telephony that lets you use your internet connection and a headset /w mic to call somebody through the internet.

you can also use the modem to send faxes for free with some websites. you can even use your scanner to send pictures with faxes.

If you want to use it instead of your normal phone plan you can use VoIP (Voice over IP(Internet Protocal)). There are a wide range of plans most of which are in the $20 range for unlimited US calling. You will get a standered telephone number. Two plans to check out are from vonage.com and voicepulse.com .

If you have a dial-up modem installed, you can probably connect a normal phone directly to the modem. (The "other" phone plug on the back of the modem marked "Phone"). It's just a parallel jack. You cannot use the phone at the same time your on the net. If you order an ISDN connection form your carrier, you can use the phone at the same time you are connected to the internet. If you want to use an IP phone, you need a LAN card, and specific software.

Yeah, I want to use the non-internet type and I have dsl but I also have a modem on my computer. Is there any special software I need?

No just use the phone dialer that is under accessories, communications in your start menu!

Techie23 said:
No just use the phone dialer that is under accessories, communications in your start menu!

Ummm, I don't think it's in there.
All I can see under communications is: HyperTerminal, Network Communiucations, Network Setup Wizard, New Connection Wizard, and Remote Desktop Connection.

I currently have Windows XP

Only Proffesional has the built in Phone tools but I am sure you can get an equivelent software package somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom