Water in my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ablaye

In Runtime
I had an accident where a glass of water was knocked off and water ended up in my laptop.
Anyway, to make a long story short, the laptop won't boot anymore even after the water has dried up.

I would like to know which components are likely to have failed and which ones should I replace.

The laptop is a high-performance Dell XPS.

Please help.

Oof. Accidental Damage warranty....? Everything could have died. It depends. Oof.... a Dell, too.

Wow you must have blown well over 2k on it. How old is it? Try to send it back or contact Dell. Lesson #1, Dont have food or liquids near electronics. Trust me I would know (milk does wonders on your dads 4k video editing system)

PROBABLY Its you're motherboard that has died, not likley to be your HDD.

Anything integrated with/in your motherboard [RAM, Cpu, Video card, bios etc] is possibly ruined, POSSIBLY..... you're gonna need a professional equipment to find out the specific part/'s that died in that laptop.

-Jo.

flip it upside down (cover open of course) and let it completely dry before you try and return or open it up... I have heard of stories that once one dried.. it booted again... very unlikely... but hey at least if nothing else you gave it a shot... that's a LOT of money to fry.

I think I remember one guy giving his motherboard a bath in acetone and it worked fine....

and I think Gaara spilled somthing on his motherboard but quickly dried it and it turned out fine too :)

good luck :D

If it was running when the water was spilled on it you're probably screwed, as their would likely be massive shorting, etc... with the motherboard. If it was off, you might stand a chance by letting it thoroughly dry out.

Same thing happend to my buddy, same laptop and everything. He sent it back to Dell and they fixed it. I think we still have the paper where it said everything that needed to be fixed. If I can find it, I'll scan and send it to you.

If it was off when spilled on and let dry completely for 5 or so hours it should have been fine. If it was on your screwed. If it dosent work im guessing it was on or you didnt let it dry long enough. Send it back is the only thing you can do now.

this happend to me, i have an apple ibook g4 12in. and i accidentaly spilled water on it, and then it wouldn't boot up, luckily i had apple case or else they would have charged me 619 bucks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom