AGP card in PCI slot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurricanes

Baseband Member
Will the clock speed be the same if we keep an AGP card in PCI slot... suppose i am having an agp graphics card and I planned on a motherboard update and i took a board which has PCI-E 16x slot.. Now i still want to use my agp card and keep it in one of the PCI slots..

what will be the difference ???

AGP/PCI/PCI-E cannot be mixed with each other. They will not plug in correctly if you try. So, don't try.

Invest in a PCI-E card, its all about x16 man!

What they are trying to say is that you cannot put a square peg in a round hole.... If you know cars, it would be like trying to put a 4 lug wheel on a 5 lug setup, or if you know memory, putting DDR2 in a DDR slot, or the other way around... PHYSICALLY, they are COMPLETLY different interfaces, and are NOT backwards compatible. It would be like trying to play a vinyl record in a CD player, or a CD on a record player....

As previously stated, invest in a PCI express x16 video card.

guys u are right.. but there is a way to keep agp in pci slot using a bridge.. anyway who wants to keep an agp card into a much slower pci slot.. How about keeping an agp card into PCI-E slot.. dont be surprised.. i know what I am saying..

Albatron Launches AGP to PCIe Bridge Card Codenamed "ATOP", the card allows you to use your AGP-8x card with PCI-E mainboards. The AGP-8x card simply piggybacks on the ATOP card's AGP-8x slot located on the top edge. The ATOP card is then plugged into the mainboard's PCI-Express slot. The only other installation requirements are replacing the bracket on the AGP-8x card with an ATOP bracket and installing the appropriate driver.
hmm I think it might cost about 30$ or so.. so guys who still want to use their AGP graphic card can use this one.. pretty cool huh..

I know AGP card cannot be forced into PCI slot.. I never said i am gonna force into one of the pci slots..I only wanted to ask if there is any bridge kinda thing ...Perhaps i need to be more precise the next time onwards.. anyway PCI stands for Peripheral component interconnect..

I don't think any such AGP-to-PCI bridge exists at the moment, nor will it ever. Currently so far, the most viable solution around is to get a motherboard with BOTH an AGP and a PCI-E slot, and yes, those DO exist:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

So far it seems to be the only board on the market with true AGP and PCI-E support. Every other board that claims it so far has had full PCI-E with a half-@ssed AGP support (e.g. "AGP Express"), or vice-versa.

I've already heard about the AGP-to-PCI-E bridge for a while now, what I meant was that there is none exists for plain old PCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom