Computer locking up and temps sorta high:

Status
Not open for further replies.

necoris

Solid State Member
First off, here is my setup:

Motherboard: MSI K7N2 Delta-L
Memory: Kingston 512MB DDR 333MHz
Video: MSI GeForce FX 5600 AGP 8X 256MB DDR (nVidia 4 drivers)
Harddrive: 120 Gig Seagate 8MB ATA 100
Processor: AMD Althon XP (i'll look after posting, i believe it's a 2700+)

In the bios, I set the multiplier at 11.5 and the FSB to 166mhz. The memory is running at a 1:1 ratio. The video is at 66mhz.

My temps seem high, loaded probably about 60 to 65 degrees celcius.

Fans:
1 on top of the case, one on the side, one on the back, one blowing in from the front and I'm using a volcano 9 for the cpu.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I believe AMD's run hot to begin with, but i don't know if they're supposed to get that hot. Did you use a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver between your cpu and heat sink and did you make sure to put a nice thin even layer there. Otherwise try reseating your heat sink to see if that helps.

I just reseated my processor to figure out what it was. I think it's a 2600+. Either way, I'm on my way to work. I'll look back here tonight and try to figure out what the frick is going on. I didn't use the Arctic stuff, just what came with the Thermaltake Volcano 9. If I need to, I will get better paste. My memory is DDR333, but it's Samsung which might make all the difference. I'll check compatibility with my motherboard. Being as it never freezes during normal use, just during gameplay, that might have something to do with it.

Thanks.

Sometimes paste takes a few heat cycles to set in correctly, artic silver for example reccomends 200 hours to set in. Do you have a fan in your power supply? They tend to draw a good bit of heat from the processor when an inlet fan is on the bottem of the PS.

I have been messing with a friends computer that has an amd xp 3000+ and the temps are running around 55C, with cheap thermal paste. He is ordering Volcano 12 and artic silver 5. Anyway Artic silver 5 ($8 US) is repeated as the best paste, time and time again on almost all review sites. Seriously consider it, the thermal resistance on it is extremely low compared to the generic paste most heat sinks come with. Low resistance is what you should aim for.
www.1coolpc.com check out that site for cooling or www.gruntville.com for product reviews

yes that is true but after it "settles" you get like a 1C decrease. there is something obviously wrong it should not go above 55C. maybe you are using crappy paste. maybe your processor fan stopped spinning, have you checked this? maybe your heatsink is mounted wrong and is not making proper contact with CPU die. maybe you have poor case airflow, see what happens when you take off the side panels and check CPU temps again.

I checked the fan and it's spinning at full speed. I took everything off so it spins at full speed all the time. I do not have a fan in my power supply, but I should; I know it. I set my multiplier at 11.5 and my clock at 166 mhz. My memory is running at 166mhz (DDR 333). My agp clock is running at 250 mhz 2d, 3d at 333mhz and the memory clock is running at 333mhz. I couldn't figure out what the hell is wrong? I have 4 case fans, a fan on my video card and a volcano 9 on my cpu running at full speed. My room temp is about 78-80 degrees. Does anyone know why this is happening?

jblaze725 said:
I believe AMD's run hot to begin with, but i don't know if they're supposed to get that hot. Did you use a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver between your cpu and heat sink and did you make sure to put a nice thin even layer there. Otherwise try reseating your heat sink to see if that helps.

i know this post is old and stuff.. but isan't that wrong? dont intels run hotter then AMD's?

Thats a big negative. AMD's are furnaces. It has alot to do with the size of the transistors and the length of the data pipeline. Intel chips will slow down or stop working when you pull off the heatsink while in operation. An AMD will smoke itself and might even take the Mobo with it.

Yes, AMD's are frikken hot. I haven't had my computer crash once I fixed the settings. One thing about the MSI Clock for my AGP card is it changes the values after every restart even if I save a new, um, preferences? Can't find the word. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Later,
Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom