:RANT: Argggghhhh :RANT:

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMo224 said:
I had a friend ask me how to fix something on his computer. I didn't know how and I suggested he join here. He didn't join, so I asked the question here and got the answer. I fixed his computer using TF members' answers, and now he has told all his friends that I'm the computer guy.

I try to tell them "No, go join Tech-Forums!", but they won't listen. Well, I'm learning a lot anyway. Geemyknee!

At least it's nice to feel wanted, even if it is to program their blasted VCR! :p

Dave :D

EXACTLY!!!!!!

When people ask me how I know so much about computers, I just tell them that most of the things I know, I learned from here! And then I take time to write out the URL and give it to them. And then a week later when I ask them how they like it they just say "huh?" because they didn't even bother to join!!

I'm not angry with them, but it does aggitate me a bit. They have to opportunity to come here and learn everything I've learned, but they don't.

In my house it isn't as bad....my dad is a electrician and is reasonably knowledgable when it comes to computers or anything of that sort. My mom, she just checks her emails, and that's about it...my dad liks his games.....even though he ain't that good at them.....you should see him on mechassault playing xbox live...it's not pretty, and i'll leave it at that...lol

yes get used to it. Be happy people look up to your ability to fix things.

if you don't know the answer...fake it... they wont know either... so as long as you sound like you know what you are talking about.. they will belive you...

Reboot the computer a few times, open a bunch of windows, click a bunch of check marks on and off.. ALWAYS click cancel when you close the window ;)
reboot again,

if you still can't figure it out, start talking about IRQs, PCI slots, RAM (them having too little), bring up TCP/IP (lol) and how ip address work and they will lose intrest....

then tell them seems to be running better now, and they will belive you...

Or kick off a defrage or kick off a full scan of the computer with the virus scan...
job well done...

:p

sometime you will actually have to fix something... and if you do then they will really be amazd...

DMo224 said:
I try to tell them "No, go join Tech-Forums!", but they won't listen.

I am trying to convince my boss of that lately. Some time his 10pm phone calls have finished up with me saying the following :-

"Let me post it up on tech forum. I'll see if there is a reply in the morning."

I always forward him the URL to the forum conversation, but he never seems to check. A day or so later, he will ask me "Has any one replied yet?"

DMo224 said:
Well, I'm learning a lot anyway.
Ditto

This is a fun rant, it is kind of funny seeing how illiterate people can be with simple technologies.. but I love fixing things for people. (and by the look of things, I'm the only one!) I can fix pretty much anything; computers (hardware and software), VCRs, TVs, Paintball guns, firearms, '64 Lincoln Continental (suicide doors, yea baby!), '68 Camaro, '89 Camaro, Playstation 2, houses, roofs, barns, plumbing, cameras, lenses, laptops, electric motors.... yea pretty much everything. The first time I realized this ability was at the age of 8 (I'm 22 now) when I disassembled a walkman, and built a radio controlled car only using parts from inside the walkman. It didn't look too pretty, but it worked! Now I never pass up an opportunity to take something apart, whether it be an engine or a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom