Question regarding trial online games

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

When I download a trial online game that is good for 60 mins, how does the website I download from know that I have been playing for 10, 20, etc mins? Is there an internal clock in the downloaded game or is the game sending info on my IP to a website?

Thanks.

Thanks Alvin C...

But does anybody know exactly how it works? Not that I want to circumvent it, but just curious how a program "counts".

Those programs use your clock and a couple other parts of your system to see a start and stop time. Therefor telling the website how long you have been playing or not. Its all pretty bunk, if you are trying to circumvent it. Well stop being cheap. Or just dont play the game.

Why would they use the website if I am unconnected from the internet while playing?

Just trying to understand the logic of how it works...I said I was NOT trying to circumvent..and you dont have to remind me that I dont need to play the game, my question had little to do with the game.

Some games, if you pull the plug(of the PC) in the middle of a game it resets the time. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. :D

Thanks pcrobot...but is this because the clock on the computer is reset or the game? Still interesting to me how a program has a clock.

The program itself doesnt have a clock. It has a timer. The timer counts down. Just like a Role Playing game has a timer that tell you how long you have played it. Same thing but backwards.

So you say the game has a 60 minute trial. when you start the game it starts the countdown. If you stop after 10 minutes it saves the config that you have 50 minutes left.

It isnt that difficult to understand really. I mean if your PC is off how does it keep track of the time and it is always up to snuff when you turn it on? There is coding in there that many of us will never understand. Heck they can even tell if we are cheating now so a clock wouldnt be that difficult for them to code in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom