Memory Stick Wont Write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerslaveowned

Solid State Member
I Have a Kigstone 512 Mem stick and havent used it a real lot but needed it to copy some stuff from university and after a while it stopped writing saying "Remove the write protection" but this stick doesnt have a switch for that like some sticks do, can someone tell me if i can fix this somehow ( i cant find an option right clicking, format wont work cuz i cant write to it) or does it mean something more serious?

Thanks

Re:

Hello,

I think it has software write protection.

Which data traveler model do you have?

http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/default.asp

The DataTraveler Elite, DataTraveler II and DataTraveler II Plus Migo drives can have write-protection and privacy zones established on the flash drives using a program available from Kingston.

Check to see if you have such a program on your flash drive which is protecting your data. Usually, there would be an executable program file on the flash drive which you can run to manage passwords and privacy zones on the drive.

So you can't write to the flash drive, but can you access and browse files on the drive?

just a longshot here, probably not an issue but its a quick check, right click the drive and click sharing and security(or go properties - security tab) and make sure u have full rights to the drive.

Yes I cant write to the drive but can browse and read files and copy them onto my hard drive, although this can be also difficult telling me I cant write to stick, I dont know maybe it writes temp files onto the stick when copying from it sometimes...

Cant see any programs to change write protects, its a

KUSBDTI/XX DataTraveler 2.0 Full Speed which from that Website says No Security Features Available ...

Cant reformat it because I cant write to it

I just tried turning sharing on and the hand sharing icon came up so it is shared but still the same problem I cannot write to it. I shouldnt have to share it though, I dont see hands come up on every USB stick plugged into every computer out there....but it was worth a try :)

I contacted Kingston though on their Website so thanks for the link, maybe they will reply to me

have you tried in another computer? are you the admin user on that system? try this too, right click drive, properties, if there's a security tab click it and go to advanced, click owner tab and add your user to it.

you could try running a live linux cd and format it thru there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom