ati problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrus186

Beta member
i have a hercules prophet 4000xt 64 mb pci graphics card installed, my friend gave me a ATI Visiontek xtasy radeon 9250 128mb pci card and i want to install it but im having a very difficult time with it he cant find the driver cd but i downloaded the driver. i uninstalled my hercules and turned off the computer, unplugged it, removed the hercules, put the ati in, and when i turned it on i got a black screen then faded into a dark gray screen. my motherboard monitor outlet is different than my monitor plug so i have to have a graphics card so i have to keep plugging my hercules back up. i tried puting both of the cards in at the same time thinking that the plug and play would recognize it but it says it is a 9200 pro or something im about 5 seconds away from using some left over fireworks on my computer. plz help

It sounds like your computer, in the absence of an installed graphics card, is trying to use your onboard video. Try this:
With the Hercules card in your pc, get into the bios and disable your integrated video. It's usually under "Integrated Peripherals/Devices" or something similar. Then restart, boot into Windows. Ignore any plug and play stuff trying to install drivers. In your Device Manager go to Display Adapters and delete any entries there. Then turn off your pc, unplug it, take out the Hercules and put in the Radeon 9250. Plug in your pc, reboot, and use those ATI Catalyst drivers you said you downloaded to install your new card. This should work.
It's pretty much normal for a card to first be detected as something a little different than it may be. A 9200 Pro or 9200 Series will be fine, just finish installing the drivers.

i couldnt find anything like Integrated Peripherals/Devices but i found something that said Onboard Game MIDI it was set at 200/330 i disabled it and rebooted then i disabled the stuff in device manager and then shut down and put the radeon in and turned it back on and i got the black to gray screen

This can get complicated real fast , but in short ....go to your windows control panel and disable all you vid. cards and set them back up to run vga or similuar std grafix card, then you need to go into bios and set your bios up for the pci /agp/ or onboard card ...set this to your new card . which will be in this case your new ati card (PCI) . when you reboot to windows , click cancel when it ask you if you want to install the drivers automaticaly. then go to the windows controll pannel and click display , from there go to the advanced and click drivers and install your downloaded drivers.

you do have to reset to the basics to add a new card. and dont forget to ignor the auto install when rebooting.

i did what u said mguire but when i rebooted with the new card nuthing happened i got a blank screen still its like the comp is rejecting it like a kidney transplant i cant even get it to work at all even the way i did when i had both cards hooked up at least it recognized it then im just getting very frustrated and cant think clearly pretty much everything i do on the computer uses graphics if i ant figure this out im screwed

Is your case a custom built or a brand name (HP, Dell, Sony Vaio, etc.)? Some branded computers have different bios settings to allow installation of a new graphics card.
Also, how many watts is your psu? I believe that the 9250 wants 300 or 350 watts, are you not meeting this?

i figured out the problem my monitor is not compatible with it i guess it is an old IBM i hooked my sisters monitor up to it and it worked so we traded thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom