Raid (mirroring)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennykyser

Baseband Member
I am building a 3 hd system one hd for the programs and 2 for storage. I want the 2 storage drives to be identical.

Will I need any special hardware or software?

Will I be able to access date from these drives on a network?

You will need a Raid controller if you wanna put them in Raid Array.

And for the programs HDD get a Raptor 74 [or was it 76?] GB 10,000RPM SATA2 3GB/s xfer rate.

for the two other storage ones, seagate barracuda 300GB SATA2 3GB/s will do?? or the W.D. Caviar same amount of GB same SATA 2 connection...

You will need to build a RAID O array for storage. That is stripping and not mirroing. A RAID mirror means that one drive contains an exact copy of the bootable or storage drive. I would use RAID 0 on twin Western Digital 250GB 7200 RPM dirves. That will give you 486gb of stripped storage. And yes, as stated above, a 150 gig Western digital Raptor for your boot drive will take your breath away.........unbelieveable speed!! Note: If you are interested in Mirroring your data then RAID 1 for the storage array would be your choice. You will need to have a mobo gthat supports RAID or buy a PCI add -on card (which is not a great idea given the transfer rate is then limited by the 32 bit PCI bus on the Northbridge).

Yes, Raid 1 is what he seems to be looking for.. that would be 2 HDD's with the same info... Depending on how many programs you will be running, you might just want a 36Gig if you go the Raptor route.... a 150Gig raptor is close to $300-350 depending on where you go... IMO, that is ALOT for a single boot drive. The 36 gig model number is WD360GD, and goes for $100-125.

EDIT: Upon further review, the 74Gig model is the better value... $140 after rebate from Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136033

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Yes, Raid 1 is what he seems to be looking for.. that would be 2 HDD's with the same info... Depending on how many programs you will be running, you might just want a 36Gig if you go the Raptor route.... a 150Gig raptor is close to $300-350 depending on where you go... IMO, that is ALOT for a single boot drive. The 36 gig model number is WD360GD, and goes for $100-125.

EDIT: Upon further review, the 74Gig model is the better value... $140 after rebate from Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136033

Good point on the 74gig.:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom