i dropped my master hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamL

Baseband Member
well guys i was building a new hard drive holder thing and i kind of umm....dropped my hdd. i said "aahhh crap" and then went back to work. i just put it in and it detects my secondary drive just dandy but no the other. it's a 30gb hdd and the bios is reading it as 8.5. also the bios is telling me that there is a problem with my RAM now. i'm not a 100% sure if it's because i dropped the thing but it prolly is. is there a way to save the hdd or should i start shopping?

also i would like to know if you think the RAM prob is cuz of the hdd. the message says that in order to use dual channel i have to have two identical sticks but i'm not using DC....

Tell us a little more about what it is you are doing. Do you have your jumpers on the hdd's set as master and slave (not cable select)? Is that the only error message you are getting with the ram? If so just move the ram around.

well i never touched the ram in the first place so i dont know how it would have been screwed up but ok i'll mess with it. i didn't change any jumpers and i put the cables on exactly the same way and i remember double checking my jumpers because i've had my fair share of hdd troubles before.

Since the HD is not detected it is a good bet it is now a frisbee. WD 250gigs Sata or ide drives are down to around $80!!! Buy a new drive!!!

yep. u literaly "crashed" the hard drive. its dead. gone. kaput, whatever you call it, u killed it. your best bet would be to go and get a new harddrive, and then get the old one and open it up, take the magnets, (dont get the 2 too close to each other, or kaslap and ouch..heheh, peps who have done this know what i mean) and use the disks as christmas tree ornaments or mirrors. **** they even make good frizbees, and make the empty shell a cigeratte holder or somethin like that. just food for thought, but yea the hard drive is dead. a 30 with 8 gigs still alive. sounds like you dropped a disk and a half, and are living on half of a disk. now about the ram part, i dont beleive the hdd can directly relate to that, unless a wire shorted on the hd, traveled down the ide, and then attacked ur ram, but thats pretty far fetched, but just run down to ur local walmart, and get a western digital caviar se for around 50 bux(hey i got one, and its dead silent, no vibration, but it runs a lil warm) or like rico said, just go and get a 250 gb, and pick up a pair of matching ddr, the extra money will be worth the gained preformance(gotta love ddr, its like ram on roids')

well i dont smoke bmxfreakrider but i get the message. i've got 2 f'ing gigs of ram and i sure hope i dont have to replace those babies. thanks for all the help guys and i think i'll buy a 320gb sata. i've been lookin to upgrade to sata and now i've got a reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom