Upgrading a dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
since it has an x300 card (now they have x300 integrated chip.. but yours is a bit old, so it must be the dedicated card) you most likely have a pci-express slot. as long as the new video card you're getting doesn't use (much) more power than the x300, then your powersupply should be able to handle it. just make sure the powersupply meets the video card's minimum requirements. shouldn't be too bad. no guarantees :p

Dell's can have video cards upgraded. Trust me, I have an old Dell 8200 and the video card upgraded perfectly fine. Most of these people have no clue what they are talking about when they say that you can't upgrade a DELL. The things you can't upgrade are PSU's, CPU's, Mobo's, and cases.

Millenniumtiger said:
Dell's can have video cards upgraded. Trust me, I have an old Dell 8200 and the video card upgraded perfectly fine. Most of these people have no clue what they are talking about when they say that you can't upgrade a DELL. The things you can't upgrade are PSU's, CPU's, Mobo's, and cases.

C4 and an open field still is your best choice for a Dell IMO. :p :p :

I used a Dell (Dimension 4600 2.6GHz - 20 x 133) for 2.5 years and upgraded VGa cards twice ( 1st-Nvidia card: can't recall the model; 2nd ATI X850 Pro) both times were effortless. Maybe I got lucky.

However, when it came to a CPU upgrade... Well, I ended up building a entirely new system. After what I have learned, I'd do what RicoDirenzo suggests.

Ok thanks for your input guys --- and to those who keep reminding me how Dells suck, I know they aren't the best quality PCs, but I actually got it given to me, so to only pay the cost of a graphics card to get it up to relatively good performance is worth it.

LOL, i've done alot of upgrades to my dell, and not one hiccup. I've added a harddrive, upgraded it from 256mb to 1gb no problem. Upgraded my mx440 to a fx5200 then a 6800 no problems with either one. Then cut out a hole on the side where the dell logo used to be, works fine. Then bought a zalman vf700-cu, and a pci slot fan, both work fantasticly, and all running fine on a dell stock PSU.

I have an 8200

I have upgraded the video card from a Geforce 3 {AGP} To ATI 9800XT..no problem at all

Also have upgraded the CPU from 1.9Ghz To 2.6Ghz...no problem

Also added some more ram....no problem

My problem is i am now out of upgrades for it....and yes i am going to try and build my own when i get a new one :)

Whirlwind said:
I have an 8200

I have upgraded the video card from a Geforce 3 {AGP} To ATI 9800XT..no problem at all

Also have upgraded the CPU from 1.9Ghz To 2.6Ghz...no problem

Also added some more ram....no problem

My problem is i am now out of upgrades for it....and yes i am going to try and build my own when i get a new one :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if that takes your elevator to the top floor.....woot!:amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom