Ddr2/ddr S939/am2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blolodyfinger said:
heh, thanks! I think I'll just stick with the S939/DDR combo if I don't end up going to conroe. I usually don't really upgrade all too often, I just sell and buy a whole new pc:)

CONVERT TO CONROE! CONVERT TO CONROE!

No, I would definitely wait for Conroe to come out. Even if you don't decide to go Intel. AMD has some very nice price drops in store...Grab a X2 3800+ and OC it.

Spartan666 said:
CONVERT TO CONROE! CONVERT TO CONROE!

No, I would definitely wait for Conroe to come out. Even if you don't decide to go Intel. AMD has some very nice price drops in store...Grab a X2 3800+ and OC it.

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm doing (waiting for conroe and getting an amd)...

am2 and 939 prices are pretty much exactly the same. 939 is not cheaper. in fact, DDR2 ram seems to be cheaper than DDR (sometimes..).

and i have no idea what "bugs" and "glitches" people talk about.. they pretty much carried over the same chip from 939.. and i haven't heard anything bad about the memory controller.. we're talking about a cpu here, not a video game or os.

and i have no idea what "bugs" and "glitches" people talk about.. they pretty much carried over the same chip from 939.. and i haven't heard anything bad about the memory controller.. we're talking about a cpu here, not a video game or os.
hence the reason a minor bug is a big problem. everything crutches off the cpu, not that that needs to be said. there are some bugs with the IMC, just like there were some bugs with the IMC on s754.

Memory controller has nothing to do with the socket, the large issues with the AMD64 weren't resolved until RevE came around and that was long after Winchester and socket939 were co-existing...that said even now 939 processors still have memory controller issues as each controller is engineered differently, for example Opterons don't like using 180/166 memory dividers

The issue with AM2 isn't so much a buggy memory controller but moreso the simple fact that HTT and DDR2 don't go together like I've always said...hence why you see DDR2 operating at twice the frequency of DDR yet performing almost exactly the same, the only real advantage of DDR2 is lower voltage requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom