is the 4200+ worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DH20

Solid State Member
Looking at the expected price drops the 4200+ X2 will be going for $240 and the 3800+ X2 for $180.

Is the 4200+ X2 worth buying?

no, not really, it's based on the same core, same cache, the only difference is the operating frequency, just overclock a bit and save the $60 for something else, if you feel inclined as such.

trust me.. they are correct (I have one) save youe money and get the 3800 OR save some money and get the 4400 dual (1MB L2 cache) when the prices supposedly drop. It's a good chip, don't get me wrong... but not worth the money if you plan on OC'ing

instead of saving for a 4400, just take the money for the 4200, and buy an Opteorn 170, its cheaper, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

EDIT: **** prices arent dropping for opteron's, fine just got with an Opteron 165. its still WAYYYYYYYYYY better

john3 said:
instead of saving for a 4400, just take the money for the 4200, and buy an Opteorn 170, its cheaper, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

EDIT: **** prices arent dropping for opteron's, fine just got with an Opteron 165. its still WAYYYYYYYYYY better

You are assuming that based on OCing capability. The key word is capability . If he gets a dud core or uses a bad stepping, the Opterons could turn out to be a bad choice for him.

Go with the X2 3800+ over the X2 4200+, like everyone said.

Spartan666 said:
You are assuming that based on OCing capability. The key word is capability . If he gets a dud core or uses a bad stepping, the Opterons could turn out to be a bad choice for him.

Go with the X2 3800+ over the X2 4200+, like everyone said.

by that logic so could the x2 3800+ or the 4200+ so why not go for one that if its not a dud it could oc better, unless of course ur basing this on the made up fact (you made up, from wat i understand) that opterons have a higher capability of being duds?

john3 said:
by that logic so could the x2 3800+ or the 4200+ so why not go for one that if its not a dud it could oc better, unless of course ur basing this on the made up fact (you made up, from wat i understand) that opterons have a higher capability of being duds?

No. I am basing it on the fact that an Opty 165 runs at a lower frequency than the 3800+, so you will have to OC it 400mHZ compared to 200mHZ for the 3800+.

no technically u dont oc its 400 Mhz, u oc the fsb by about 15mhz, depending on the multiplier. which almost any CPU can do, unless of course its just awful. the point is, GET AN OPTERON!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom