AMD Dual-Core optimizer Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
found this on daily tech

AMD has silently released a utility that fixes time stamp counter (TSC) issues with dual-core AMD processors such as the Athlon 64 X2 and Opteron. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer utility is a driver that synchronizes the time stamp counter on both processor cores and improves game compatibility and performance. Time stamp counter issues occur in older games that are incompatible with multithreading and would run too fast or out of sync.

Issues also occur in newer games and applications that have compatibility issues with processor affinity like Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Affinity issues typically required users to bring up the task manager and set the processor affinity manually or performance would suffer dramatically.

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer utility could possibly be the rumored “Reverse Hyper-Threading” patch that would improve single thread application and games performance by having dual-core processors show up as a single core processor in applications. AMD has declined to comment on "Reverse Hyper-Threading."

AMDÂ’s Dual-Core Optimizer utility version 1.0 is available from AMDÂ’s website. The utility release notes shows it as being released on March 22nd, 2006 which is strange as AMD has made no mention of the utility publicly. The utility also installed on Core Duo and Opteron systems.

for those who dont want to read the whole article, some people think it's the rumored reverse hyper threading. it fixes the issues that occur between games that dont fully support dual core CPU's and make then take advantage of both cores, and it even makes game that dont take advantage of both cores, and makes tham do so.

you can download the utility here

Yea, I saw that on Inquirer. Im not going to have an AMD till later this month :p but I dl'd it so that when I get it..... SWEET!

dual cores are so expensive...I might get one when conroe comes out and the price drops.

I got my Sandy to 3.0 ghz stable on 1.5 vcore last night....gonna try 3.1ghz tonight. Temps are still about 46c load...not bad at all

so i'm pretty happy for now...

works well for me, I can go on san andreas without changing the affinity, excellent!

Charlie -

somone with a dual core AMD should start a game like BF2, FEAR, CS:S, HL2, etc... and record the avg FPS.

then they should download the dual core optimizer and then do the same and record the avg FPS and post it.

eh I guess you could say BF2 maps load faster. i don't really see any FPS increase or anything. Then again I don't record the FPS either :confused: :classic: yay for dual core!

Wish I still had my Opteron :(

Lucky it works with the Conroe. Did anyone install this yet? Notice any real difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom