upgrading graphics card.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
ok i dont use this machine for gaming, its only got 64mb on board graphics at the moment but im going to pick up a cheap sapphire radeon 128mb card so that when i get windows vista ill be able to run all the features( it states 128mb for aero).

So do you think this radeon 128 card will be ok because its smack bang on the minium requirement isnt it? although thats what it says will be needed to run all features so i guess it will be fine?

Second question, when fitting is it just a case of whipping the old one out, putting the new one in and then firing it up and windows will dectect it etc?

Thanks guys

Just wondering why are to wanting to upgrade for Vista so soon... I would say wait until the launch date gets closer... no need to get a video card that may not work with it if they bump up the minimum requirements.... Also, no need to get a card if you aren't doing any type of gaming on it... I would guess no other types of media are used (rendering, Photoshop, etc. etc.) since it wasn't mentioned... Save that money you have for a cheap card now, and get a BETTER card down the road before the vista release.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do use photoshop yes, and i can get a 256 agp card pretty cheap aswell so i may aswell get one, i dout it will need 256mb graphics card to run all the fancy stuff in vista, even if they up the min requirements!?
And yes, im waiting for the final realease, not bothered about getting the beta;)

oh, ok... well, if you are upgrading your video card strictly to meet minimum requirement for Vista, I would urge you to wait until closer to the holiday season. Not only will there be better deals at that time of the year, the prices will also drop a bit... might be able to get a 7800 GS for a good price.

Just get like a geforce 6600/6600 le, if thats too expensive the geforce 6500 is a nice budget card, or 9600

Can i use any graphics card as long as its AGP fitment? reason i ask is because i was just looking at some 256-512 AGP cards on a website and it says: System Requirements
* Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher with AGP 8X (0.8v), 4X (1.5V), or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X/4X)

Surly that doesnt mean it wont work in a celeron machine?

The processor doesn't matter... If you can give us the model number of you motherboard, we should be able to look it up to see which AGP format it uses.... As long as the card is compliant with that format, it will work.

got this info from cpuz, is this what you need?
Screenshot-04_07_200618_02_08.jpg

Think this is the number you need? its the motherboard one anyway:
Intel D845GVSR (KD845GVSRLPAK10) AGPx8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom