Hard drive not loading randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

baconman

Beta member
I was running an older program on winxp pro, when I got to the actual game it didnt work correctly. So I decided to try win98 simulation as a last effort. Dont ever do it by the way, it doesnt work. Anyway game totally locks up, and now just like win98 you cant do anything. I guess it simulating win98 in the sense that it totally ****ed up. So I hit the restart button on my comp for its the only thing I can do. Now the hard drive wont load. Bios seems fine, I get 'registering DMI pool ............' then it just sits there. Ive cleared cmos, reset defaults. No, there isnt anything wrong with the hard drive. I've put it in this backup comp, loads perfectly. The computer will boot off cds, it just wont boot off the hard drive. If it helps:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz lga775 (64bit)
MSI Neo3-V
2x512mb corsair ram
WD 80gb sata hard drive
Radeon 9800 pro 256mb

It sounds like you need to get a new hard drive. I have had older drives (only 20 Gig drives and lower) fail on me (all Western Digital) in recent years.... I usually got "PRIMARY MASTER HARD DISK FAILURE" or something along those lines... Some times I got different errors, sometimes I didn't... If I restarted the machine every time it did that, it would actually boot after like 10 - 15 minutes, sometimes less.... Eventually the drive failed, and I lost everything.

I suppose that could happen, its a couple years old. But like I said before that hard drive loads perfectly fine on this computer. I'm going to try this hard drive on that computer and see what happens..

Oye... Even after I posted that, I RE-READ your first post, saw nothing, then READ IT AGAIN.... THEN saw you put it in another computer... lol, sorry man, I think I should go to sleep now.... :)

Actually I think you were right. I booted off the newer comp that wouldnt boot before with another hard drive. It works. It just wont boot off the old hard drive. (Theyre both 80gb satas) I think you were right, its probably going to die. Im backing up everything now to make sure. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom