Buying a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzy

Baseband Member
I know everyone is a fan of custom built computers. I myself wanted to build a computer but my parents are uneasy on the situation.

I'm on a budget.. pretty low, but I expect to be getting more money later in the year. Therefor I'm looking to buy a tower for about $750 or less that can be easily upgraded.

I've found a refurbished Gateway computer that really seems too good to be true, but obviously I'm really worried.. afterall, it's refurbished and a Gateway.

Specs:
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center
  • PCI Slots (Total) 2
    PCI Slots (Available) 0
    PCI Express X1 Slots (Total) 1
    PCI Express X1 Slots (Available) 1
    PCI Express X16 Slots (Total) 1
    PCI Express X16 Slots (Available) 1
    PCI Express Slots (Total) 2
    PCI Express Slots (Available) 2
    Expansion Slots 4
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 (Dual-Core)
  • Memory: DDR 400 (PC-3200)
  • Memory Size: 512MB
  • Total Memory: 2GB (I'm rather confused on this - is this computer's RAM 512mb or 2GB?)
  • HD Capacity: 320GB
  • Speed: 7,200RPM
  • Integrated Audio and Graphics (Will upgrade graphics)
  • Power Supply 300W.. Its pathetic, but I'm hoping I can upgrade this.

All for $699.97.. Would I be getting ripped off on this deal? Are there better pre-made or build to order PCs available? Should I even consider this computer since it is a Gateway and refurbished?

Thanks for your input.

That's a good deal it does soudn too good to be true, but iono about it since it is refurbished. It sounds like you're in the same situation as my friend was. He wanted to buuild a computer but his parents wouldn't let him because they thought it would cost thousands of dollar and he wouldn't know how to do it. He ordered a custom built gaming pc from I Buy Power . You can choose a model to start wiht and upgrade it and customize all the parts you want, it's pretty cool if you can't build a pc. They even come with cool cases instead of those ugly gateway plain cases. Check em out.

First, see what other people think about that Gateway, because it is a really good deal for the money, but there are downsides to it.

RAM looks to be 512 (it can go UP TO 2 GB) Personally I would go with an HP, as I have had better luck with them, but that's just me... Where are you getting this machine? if it's ebay then I would say no. but if it's local... maybe you might even want to look into the dells if you have to buy, but if the parents are involved... I would say get something new with a warrenty... (makes them happy, your happy) you might not get something completely kicka** but at least it'll be a good starter. if you could wait until later on when you have money I would say wait. or else get a cheap barebones kit that you could put together yourself and show the parental units it's not so bad and they would let you build a good one later on... :D and besides, it would be cheaper in the long run to build, then you also know how to fix it if something does go wrong... (looky, looky... free tech support!) LOL Just me 2 1/2 cents

Here is a good build for $749, I changed the customizations so it's better you can fix them if you want.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=136
the link shows you what parts it starts at, but you can upgrade all the things you want, below is the specs i put on it and it came out to $749

it has an AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Gigabyte nF4 mobo
1 gig corsair value ram
NZXT Apollo Gaming case w/420 watt PSU
eVGA 7600gt 256mb
200GB Sata 3.0gb's HDD
NEC DVD Burner
Speaker System

Thats an awesome build for $750,

If you build it your self you could probaly get a little better for $750, but this is good enough. It has a good videocard too, (7600gt), instead of that integraded junk with the gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom