2GB of RAM situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
Alright, I am posting for a friend. He currently has a X2 3800+ with 1GB of RAM (in 2 512MB sticks). He is looking to upgrade to 2GB. However, I don't know what would be better. Getting 2 more 512MB or a 1GB stick? I hesitate on the 1GB stick because I'm not sure if it would take his system out of dual channel mode.

well either way it will take him out of dual channel.

If you had to pic, go with 2 more 512's I think, but for best performance, get 1 x 1gb for dual channel

I guess you mean 2 x 1GB. I'm not sure what the difference would be between 2 x 512MB or 1 x 1GB; minor, I'm sure.

Btw, is it a coincidence that you are both AnthraX's and you both spell AnthraX the same way? Also funny you're both in the same thread by each other :).

Lord AnthraX- Why would 4x 512mb's be out of dual channel?

[EDIT] NathanM- It's just a coincidence. I still think it's pretty funny though :p .

For best performence, get Either two 1 GB Sticks or 4 512 MB sticks, they should all Be Identical.

So it depends which situation is cheaper or is possible assumming you can find identical RAM to the Setup he already has.

IMO, I would go two 1 GB as it would reduce Heat.

Ste said:
For best performence, get Either two 1 GB Sticks or 4 512 MB sticks, they should all Be Identical.

So it depends which situation is cheaper or is possible assumming you can find identical RAM to the Setup he already has.

IMO, I would go two 1 GB as it would reduce Heat.

Right now he has 2x 512MB sticks. The 1GB stick would be added on to make 3 sticks total (1x 1GB, 2x 512MB).

So you can't have two dual channel sets? 512+512 as dual channel, and 512+512 as another dual channel?

I'm pretty sure you can, actually yes you can, as long as they're all identical sticks, and you have dual channel enabled motherboard, you're in for some sweet dual chanelling.

And when we say identical, same brand, everything the same of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom