Formated extra Hard Drive Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Okay I was stupid... I have an extra hard drive from my dads old computer. I installed it and it worked great, but I wanted to format it. So I formated the drive by right clicking it in my computer and pressing format. Now my drive is a picture of a drive with a red circle with a white question mark in it. I get the error "E:\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on the hard drive on this computer, or on a network..."

I don't know how to fix this. Any help would be extremely helpful. I feel very stupid.

EDIT:
Wow it's even worse then i thought... Now when I reboot the computer the computer says Operating System not found and the slave drive starts clicking. Once I take the drive out it's fine and boots normal, but while I have it hooked up I can't boot the computer and the drive clicks. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance this is really frustrating.

Make sure your slave drives' jumper is set to slave if you haven't done so already. Once you get into windows, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Then click on Disk Management in the left frame, and set up an NTFS file system on the drive when it appears in the right frame.

Do I have to have the drive plugged in at the time because I can't boot my computer with it plugged into it. I'm in Disk Managment, but how do I set up an NTFS file system? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh yea and how do I make sure the drive is set to being the slave drive?

First I'm assuming the drive isn't (thanks Nubius :) ) a SATA drive, check the back of the drive next to the IDE channel there are a bunch of pins and on the label of the drive you should see a diagram that will tell you where the jumper needs to be set if it is running as a slave. And yes you need to plug in the drive and boot up with it, you may not have a problem booting once the jumper is set. Then go into disk management and look for the drive.

Where do I set up the Jumper. The Hard drive is from an HP. It's older and the drive is only 15gigs,but the jumper is J50. It says Master/Single ON and Slave OFF. 16383 Cylinders, and 16 HEADS.

And the other diagram is. Model 91531U3, HDA 13A, PCBA 1 OA, Unique 13A, and Code FA520S60.

Like I said at the start, the drive worked when I plugged it in with the old data. It's the same hard drive for both computers except one is slightly a newer modle. I'm hooking up the slightly older modle.

Also, when ever I plug the drive in and boot up, it stops at Operating System not found. And then I have to restart it. So I can't boot it with the drive. Where do I set the Jumper to fix this.
K thanks a bunch!

First I'm assuming the drive is a SATA drive, check the back of the drive next to the IDE channel there are a bunch of pins
What? This doesn't make sense....you say you are assuming it's a SATA drive, then proceed to talk about jumpers next to the IDE channel.......did you mean to say you're assuming the drive "isnt" a sata drive?

Where do I set up the Jumper. The Hard drive is from an HP. It's older and the drive is only 15gigs,but the jumper is J50. It says Master/Single ON and Slave OFF. 16383 Cylinders, and 16 HEADS.
look on the drive. Generally it's either some diagram on the top of the drive where the rest of the text is, or sometimes it's on the green PCB (printed circuit board) on the bottom of the hard drive and it's in small white righting below the jumpers.

I'd just put it on "Cable select" if you see that option.

Nubius said:
What? This doesn't make sense....you say you are assuming it's a SATA drive, then proceed to talk about jumpers next to the IDE channel.......did you mean to say you're assuming the drive "isnt" a sata drive?

Yeah that's what I meant :D

The drive has already worked once before I formated it. The jumpers must be in the right place since i haven't touched them. I can't boot the computer with the slave drive in because it says "Operating System Not Found" and i have to turn the computer off after that. The drive is an HP Model 91531U3. I can't do any of the Install the hard drive sites because I can't get my computer on with it in.

I took the jumpers out and put them back in according to the other hard drive, but I swear I put it back where it was but now it works. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom