Prescott... or northwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosBoost300

I poop on the rug
Okay, i just got me an old computer with a socket 478 mobo, and i really wanna throw out this celeron.. so, with that said, i was thinking about buying a p4, but should i get a presscott or northwood?

Uhhh if you can find a good northwood 478 for retail post it here because I might like to upgrade it. At this stage in the game I would recommend northwood if you can find it, prescots run hot and I mean there really isn't much opportunity for you to upgrade from there.

its an oem northwood on newegg... but far better than this 1.8 ghz celeron this thing is running..... next up i need to look for a pci graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116215

actually.. i have another question.. how much better are celeron d's compared to the regular old... celerons.. because this is just going to be a family type comuputer.. so maybe a celeron d would do well

actually... prescott is the better choice... the stepping is better and the L2 is usually better as well... yea they run hot but the performance is better. get a decent cooler and your set. You can still find the 3.0-3.2 Prescott's around... hard pressed though is the 3.4's... Though were the last ones to be made... 16k L1, 1M L2 stepping 4 hyper-threading, etc... I've got one of those right now and it still performs... of course not like my game machine, but it's still pretty quick.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111075

(If you wanna see the specs of the machine I'm talking about.)

Yah that northwood you posted is not really worth it. I thought you found a northwood with that uses hyper threading. So in that case I would take a prescot over that.

If it's just for a family computer -- get the celeron d. Most families woudln't really need the all the l2 cache of a pentium.

ya, i may go celeron d... but i might actually want it to play some decent games so i may also go prescott, but either way its gonna be a while because my airsoft gun set me back 115 dollars :(

Prescott.............I've been running a prescott 3.0gig with 1mb L2 cache and it is extremely stable and realatively cool for an Intel chip (46 degrees under full load). The northwood core is not HT while the Prescott is!! BTW, it is not a gaming machine...used for project studio recoding.

well if its a game like counterstrike.... i'm pretty sure an awesome processor isnt necessary.. i've played doom 3 on p4's at school, with onboard graphics, and they ran just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom