usb to ide problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrise12287

Solid State Member
im not sure if there was anything in the past on this subject, i looked back a few pages...nothing...anyway
first off

acer aspire 1660, 1.25 gig ram, 3 ghz, xp sp2

so i got this ide to usb converter, i have an ibm deskstar 61.4 gb hd from an old comp...hooked it up first and it said there was no drive for instance or something another, anyway i googled that and it said i need to set the jumpers to cable select and i did that, now when i try it it says the driver installation file is missing a necessary entry...i cant figure out what to do, ive looked up a few things and tried some stuff i cant remember that didnt work, leave suggestions and i will tell u if i tried it and if i didnt i will try itand hope it works...any questions on any hard or software i have leave questions, would be nice if i could get stuff off this hd that i used to have

and i believe its a genesys converter, the stuff on the disk is gl811 but it says for 98

any help would be nice

Re:

Hello,

Because you have Windows XP it is not necessary to install the drivers, hence why they are intended for Windows 98. Windows XP already has driver support for mass storage devices.

Assuming you hard drive is a 3.5" thick drive, have you hooked up the power cable to the drive? Should be a molex power cable with four pin slots.

yes, the ide to usb cable came with a power cable and i had it hooked up to the surge protector then tried the wall outlet..to no avail

ok i figured the one thing out and got rid of the driver that was in system32/drivers cuz it was the one from the cd for 98 not xp cuz xp was supposed to have it already, but when i go to install it it says no driver found now...so now what? everest says my io is out of date.....should i try different jumper settings cuz i dont think my bios has anything to do with it

does it matter that the hd im trying to hook up is an internal hard drive? does it need to be external for these devices to work or does it not matter

Re:

chrise12287 said:
does it matter that the hd im trying to hook up is an internal hard drive? does it need to be external for these devices to work or does it not matter

Nope it doesn't matter :D. A hard drive is just a hard drive. Whether it be an internal one or external one depends on where you put it (inside the PC or outside).

IDE to USB adapters are made for this. Plus, retail external hard drives you can buy at the stores are just essentially a Hard Drive in an enclosure, thereby making it an external hard drive.

So you can hear the HDD power up then?...Have you tried setting the jumpers to master?

I can't think of anything else :confused: I'm afraid. Usually it's a simple as plug and play when it comes to storage devices with Windows XP (that is of course unless the adapter came with a Windows XP driver).

Okies. Plug everything up again, and go to your Device Manager, in Control Panel > System > Hardware tab...

Can you see the device there anywhere? If not, then can you see any problematic devices?

i hear it working, it sounds fine, and set to master does nothing....what is different between 15 and 16 pin? my laptop came with my 60 gig hd partitioned into 2 30 gig drives...maybe i need it set to 32 gb clip u think? or does that not sound like the issue...it picks it up just fine when i plug it in, but it always says no function driver set for this device this instance...last night i somehow got it to read it as hdc with an yellow ! by it, havent been able to since though, and i couldnt read it then...maybe u think its a hdd issue, maybe its bad? it spins and sounds fine though, but i have no desktop to try it on...maybe it got fried when my psu messed up on my desktop? or would it not power on now? anything at all for suggestions or thoughts or questions would be helpful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom