Is dual core worth the money???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
I was just wondering...is buying a dual core proccessor worth the money?? I know it all depends on what I am planning to do with my computer..but for regular (high use) (ie, moderate use for everything...not only for gaming or something !! ;)

Dual core is the future, only budget systems will have single core processors not long from now, especially the way things are moving, what with the flagship AMD's and Intel's being dual core now.

Yeah, I like my dual core. My reasoning behind it in this particular case is.........why not?

It certainly won't hurt performance and you'll be ready for one more apps and games become multithreaded. However, that won't exactly happen overnight and it probably won't be atleast until Vista comes out that you'll see dual core optimizations exploding.

Right now with XP there is only a little 'dual core hotfix' that was thrown together to fix certain issues but XP doesn't really support dual cores nor make use of them.

I'm sure this is something that will be addressed in vista and should hopefully make complete use of dual cores.

Next gen gaming will definitely be making use of the two cores, the main thing that'll start needing to catch up will be the rest of normal software programs.

Nubius said:
Yeah, I like my dual core. My reasoning behind it in this particular case is.........why not?

It certainly won't hurt performance and you'll be ready for one more apps and games become multithreaded.

I agree with alot of what you said, and we are in a switch over time where if you do invest in the newer technology now it will pay off in the long run, but It will hurt your performance NOW! think about it most all games are single threaded so if you buy a say 3800+ you really are playing your games with a 3000+, So the performance would be alot lower NOW! "MOST" games out now will not be releasing dual threaded fixes so your favorite game you are playing now, will more than likely never see an advantage in using a dual core.

It's a tough choice right now but if you are going to go with the extra expence then get something that perform's well as a single core like the 4400+x2 That's like having two 3800+ cores.

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom