Data transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you connect the HDD, it should be detected by your computer and assigned a drive letter in My Computer, as it is already formatted and partitioned. From there you can access it and move the files from that HDD to your new one.

ohhh ok i understand how it works now, but the old computer does not power on, so i wont be able to connect it to the old computer

I never said anything about that. That computer doesn't matter, it's out of the equation.

i appreciate your patientness with me haha like i said, im retarded when it comes to this computer stuff... haha, so ima try to understand this, i plug that device into my new computer through the USB port, then do i plug in the old HDD into this device and then transfer?

Take your old HDD and put it in the "device". Then plug it into your new computer. If the device doesn't come with a USB cable, you'll need to get one that works with it.

RockyZ said:
Curious about what operating system you were running your dell. You will need to modify some security settings after you gain access to your drive.

Windows XP service pack 2 (is that what u r talking about?)

NathanM said:
Take your old HDD and put it in the "device". Then plug it into your new computer. If the device doesn't come with a USB cable, you'll need to get one that works with it.

ok i got ya, thats where i mix up was, i didnt know if i put my old hdd into this device or if i had to hook it up to the old computer, so i understand now and im going to go ahead and order one, hopefully i get the right one haha

They make different ones. The ones I linked you to are for notebooks. Notebook HDD's main difference from normal computer HDD's is that the notebook HDD's are normally 2.5" while most computer HDD's are 3.5".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom